If you’re thinking about fishing for walleye then you’ve probably realized by now that you’re going to need a new rod specifically for the purpose.
There are a lot of different methods and techniques used in fishing walleye, not to mention where you’re planning on fishing and all of these options affect the type of rod you want.
You’ll need to get a rod that fits in with 1 of the three main methods for fishing walleye which are, trolling, spinning, and jigging. You need to decide what method you want to use because they each require a different configuration of tackle and a different setup. Each of these rods has a different sensitivity, which is something worth considering before you decide what methods to use.
If you’re looking for something with a very sensitive action than you should look at jigging rods, spinning rods are in the middle of the sensitivity range, and trolling rods have the least sensitive actions. Think about what sort of sensitivity you’d like and suits your particular style of fishing.
If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed by all the different available choices currently on the market, and you’re not certain about what might suit you best then don’t panic. We’re going to take you through some of the best options currently available, answer some of your most pressing questions, and talk about some of the main features you should look out for when finding the perfect walleye rod for you.
So, let's take a look at the best walleye rods currently available.
Top 5 Best Walleye Rod
OUR TOP PICK
Ugly Stik is a well-respected brand within the angling world, and this rod is a great option if you’re looking for a great walleye trolling rod.
Checking in at just over 8 feet, this option in medium or medium/heavy is easily strong enough to handle a trolling set-up, partly because the blanks give the rod a lot of backbone.
This model also has one-piece guides made from stainless steel. One-piece guides reduce the number of things that could go wrong with your rod and they’re pretty strong and having on piece guides means you won’t need guide inserts.
The rod is long enough for you to easily get your line out further from other people, especially if you’re offshore in a boat. A beginner may find that they have some difficulty in casting and controlling the rod so this trolling rod may be better for those of a more advanced skill.
Ugly Stik has put a great deal of effort and skill into the build quality on this rod, and it handles and feels like a far more expensive model. The rod is also durable, and strong thanks to the quality of the materials used. If you’re a keen angler who already has some experience then this could be the rod for you.
If you’re a straight beginner than you might need something a little bit shorter to master casting before you move up, but if you’re up for a bit of a challenge than this could be a great value rod to take on your next adventure with.
- Durable and high quality
- Tough stainless-steel guides
- Rod blanks have a lot of backbone
- Great for offshore trolling
- Light for its size
- Probably a bit too long for beginners to easily use
- Perfect lengths and actions for Salmon and Steelhead fishing
- Ugly Stik Clear Tip design delivers extra strength right where you need it
- Ugly Tech Construction with added graphite for lighter weight and increased sensitivity
- Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides provide maximum durability and eliminate insert pop-outs
- Conventional style reel seats with cushioned stainless steel hoods
You may not have heard of KastKing yet but trust us when we say you’ll be glad you heard about their walleye rod which really could be just what you’re looking for. If you want to jig for walleye than this rod could give you every advantage in catching some big ones!
This rod measures up at 6 feet, 2 inches which is a little short for a walleye rod, but it is easier to handle making it a good option for beginners who are just starting to get into angling. Its length also makes it extremely portable, so if you’re looking for something you can keep close by for those sudden perfect fishing spots, then this is worth looking at.
The rod has a strong medium power which is more than enough to land some sizeable walleye, and it maintains the sensitivity you need to feel even the tiniest nibble. The shorter length and the extra fast action and well as the power are the major contributing factors to why this rod is so capable and such good value.
This rod has been built using top quality materials and construction. It’s extremely lightweight thanks to the graphite blanks and the intertwined carbon layers, but also solid and comfortable. The reel seats and Fuji guides are high quality making this a rod that could last a good few years with the proper amount of maintenance.
You can use a line weight between 6-10 pounds the 1/8 to 1/2 ounce lure weight which most anglers agree is a good range for jigging walleye, while these ranges are a bit small for other rods, you’ll find that the lures and lines you use with this rod are perfect within this range.
If you’re looking to catch walleye than this is the rod to help you. It’s well built, lightweight and it will consistently perform for you so you can catch as many walleye as you want.
- Lightweight and durable
- Well built
- Good length for both beginners and more advanced anglers
- Extra fast action
- Excellent sensitivity
- Small lure range
- EXTREME POWER AND SENSITIVITY - KastKing WideEye Walleye Rods are designed from the ground up to be the BEST quality and value walleye fishing rod made! Choose a KastKing WideEye Walleye fishing rod for lightweight, sensitivity and power. Superior Toray IM9, 640K strain rate Nano-Resin rod blanks deliver that and more in all technique specific actions.
- FUJI TANGLE FREE K FRAME GUIDES – FUJI REEL SEATS - A KastKing WideEye Walleye fishing rod gives walleye fishing enthusiasts the best possible tool for fishing. KastKing uses only world famous Fuji Tangle Free K-Frame spinning rod fishing line guides and Fuji L-Frame baitcaster rod guides and Fuji IPS fishing reel seats for the spinning rods and Fuji TCS reel seats for the casting rods.
- AMAZING GAME CHANGING WEIGHT REDUCTION - WideEye Walleye rods are one of the lightest rod you'll ever own and reduce fatigue. Weights start at under 3.5 ounces. These ultra-light weight high-carbon fishing rods are made possible through advanced IM9 fishing rod blank technology, high end components and AAA cork split rear handle design on spinning rod models.
- TECHNIQUE SPECIFIC ACTIONS THAT IMPROVE WALLEYE FISHING SUCCESS – KastKing designed WideEye walleye rods in 13 different lengths and actions in 1 & 2-pc model to give you the best results. Each walleye fishing pole is for a specific technique or walleye fishing style including jigging, rigging, slip bobber presentations, and trolling.
- 1-PC TELESCOPIC TROLLING ROD MODELS - There are three specific WideEye walleye trolling fishing rods. Two are telescopic fishing rod designs for easy storage and transport. The third trolling rod is only 5'6" long and is the perfect transom rod for your boat. It is also a great vertical jigging rod that keeps the action close to you. These walleye fishing poles feature full length EVA handles and are built with light, powerful composite blanks.
St Croix is known for the high quality and high-end fishing rods they make. Their rods have all sorts of features and are built from the best quality materials. St Croix wants to make sure that their customers return for a high-quality build and this spinning rod is a great option on your hunt to find the perfect walleye fishing rod.
Checking in at 6 foot, 3’’ this rod is the perfect size for catching walleye. It’s a medium-light power which some may find a bit on the low side, but the extra fast tip combined with the backbone on this rod makes it easily powerful enough to firmly set your hook whilst maintaining a high enough level of sensitivity for you to be able to feel every nibble that comes your way.
This rod has an extra fast action which is great to have on your side, and it’s very capable of the fish fighting score.
The rod doesn’t have the best range for lines or lures, as it’s rated for lines between 4 and 8 pounds and it can handle lures up to 3/8 of an ounce. These aren’t the greatest ranges in the world, but the rod is still very powerful and capable of netting you some big ones. If you are thinking about giving spinning a go, these ranges probably won’t slow you down.
The split handle is made from EVA and cork and it gives an excellent grip and feels comfortable as you hold it which can mean an increase in the amount of time you can fish for without getting tired. The guides have aluminum-oxide rings and ceramic inserts, which increase their strength, and the reel seat design is also a strong inclusion for the action and feel of this rod.
This is a great rod for anyone looking to have a bit of fun while fishing for walleye and you’re certain to catch some good-sized fish. St Croix has created a quality rod made from quality materials if you’re looking for something that you’ll have fun using and that’ll last you a long time than this rod is really worth checking out.
- Great Length
- Excellent build quality and high-grade materials
- Very sensitive
- Comfortable split handle made from cork and EVA
- Extra fast action
- Limited line and lure range
- PREMIUM SCII GRAPHITE CONSTRUCTION: Perfect for anglers who appreciate high-performance without high cost; Mid-modulus graphite fiber with a higher strain rate than common fibers; Most popular material that is lightweight, durable and sensitive
- SPLIT-GRIP PREMIUM-GRADE CORK HANDLE: With a stylish EVA trim, ensure you have a firm grip on your St. Croix Eyecon spinning fishing rod at every moment of the fight against the fish
- FEATURES: Kigan Master Hand 3D guides with slim, strong aluminum-oxide rings with black frames; Fuji IPS reel seat with black hood; Kigan hook-keeper; Two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish
- SPECIFICATIONS: Technique – Jig-n-Rig; Length – 6’6”; Power – ML; Action – Fast; Pieces – 1; Line Weight – 4-10 lbs; Lure Weight – 1/8-3/8 oz; Rod Wt. – 3.6 oz; Handle – 2
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
If you like your rod to be at the top of its game and the head of innovation than this might be what you’ve been looking for.
Fenwick is known for making quality rods that are fun and comfortable to use and this model is no exception. But Fenwick has added an innovative TAC and cork handle to make using this rod even more comfortable!
The handle doesn’t have reel seat threads which many anglers find uncomfortable and can be destabilizing on your grip. On this rod, no matter where you grip on the handle, you’ll find a comfortable and easy hold that can help you fish for longer without getting tired.
A great grip can also make it easier to control your rod, so if you value comfort have a look at this option.
This is a much shorter rod than you might be used to as it’s only 5 feet, 9 inches, but some beginners or anglers looking for something more compact and manageable may find the length on this one a bonus.
The rod is medium power and has an extra fast action that combined makes this rod both sensitive and powerful. A winning combination alongside the manageable length of the rod.
This rod also has the benefit of a wide range of the line weight and the lure. The rod is easily capable of using lines from 4 pounds all the way up to 12, and your lures could weigh anything from 1/8 to 3/4 of an ounce. Essentially this means that you can use whatever line or lure you wish to when preparing for your next fishing trip.
Fenwick has really gone aLl out on the build quality of this rod and it shows not only in their innovative design on the handle but also on the quality of the materials. The blanks are made from high-quality carob and the guides are titanium to add strength to this already strong rod.
If you like your rods to be at the top end of the design scale than this one is worth thinking about.
Apart from being a little shorter than normal, it’s difficult to see what angler wouldn’t want this rod in their arsenal. If you want the latest technology with your rod then it’s hard to see that you’re going to find a better option anywhere, any time soon.
- Excellent sensitivity and power
- Extra fast action
- Innovative comfort handle
- Wide range of lures and lines
- High-end materials and build quality
- Shorter rod than normal
- Hidden Handle Design reel seat allows function and comfort to co-exist. Extreme comfort; not seen on the market today; Don't 'feel the threads' of traditional reel seats
- Titanium frame guides are extremely lightweight and are virtually bulletproof!
- TAC and cork handle design provides a solid grip even when the handle becomes wet
- Perfected actions designed specifically for light and ultra light applications
If what you want is a good all-rounder, then this next product might be of interest to you. The Cadence Fishing CR5 Spinning Rod can be used for both jigging and trolling, and if you’re not sure which method you’d prefer, or you want a rod that can be used no matter what the conditions, then this might be the one for you.
Measuring 6.5 feet in length, this rod is a great length for trolling particularly, but is well within the range for jigging and would have no problems if jigging is your preferred method for fishing walleye. It has medium power and a fast action making this rod neither too soft nor too stiff.
This is why this rod is a great option for those who want to experiment with different styles or want to keep their options open.
The rod has a nice range of 6-12 pounds on the line and 1/8 to 3/4 of an ounce for lures. This is another option that can handle pretty much any gear you want to try it with, which is another reason why this rod might suit an angler who enjoys a variety of fishing styles.
The build quality on this rod does let it down a little, while it uses EVA and Cork on the handle, stainless steel guides and high-quality carbon, the rod does feel a little more delicate than some of the other options on this list. It might not be the rod that will last you a lifetime, but it could definitely give you some fun and some great catches.
This is a very versatile rod more than capable of handling multiple fishing techniques and styles. It’s a great rod for beginners who are just figuring out their styles or methods of fishing for walleye, or a more experienced angler whose willing to sacrifice a little on the build quality for a rod that’s very versatile and can be used almost anywhere.
- Good length for both trolling and jogging
- Very versatile
- A good option for beginners who are just starting to master fishing for walleye
- Great line and lure range
- A good allrounder
- A bit less robust than other similar models
- 【What You Get From Cadence】Cadence fishing poles offer high-performance premium features at an unbeatable value. Fishing with quality, dependable gear should not mean breaking the bank. Cadence has a reliable customer service team and we will solve any problem you have. Customers have a risk-free guarantee when purchasing from us!
- 【Ultra-High Quality 30-TON Carbon Fiber Blank】All CR5 1-piece and 2-piece fishing rods are constructed with 30-ton carbon matrix graphite blank offers strongest ,lightweight, durability and sensitivity than other rods. Ideal for game fish including freshwater fish like bass, walleye and trout as well as popular inshore species like red fish, speckled trout and flounder with a rinse after fishing.
- 【Premium Materials】Cadence CR5 spinning rods are made from materials that bring strength and sensitivity without weight. Made of 30 ton carbon, SiC guides with durable stainless steel frames, a comfortable Fuji reel seat and a blank wrapped in carbon veil to enhance the durability. Rods comes in 2 handle configurations; carbon split grip and full grip using a premium cork and EVA, is made to deliver a premium rod at a greater value than the competition.
- 【Super Smooth Power】Stainless steel guides with SiC inserts makes it more smooth and durable, avoids line sticking into the guides, minimizes friction while also enhancing sensitivity by transferring vibrations from the line through the guide to the rod and to your hand.
- 【Travel Friendly】Unique 2 piece design makes it easily and affordable to fit in car, trunk, boat hatch than traditional one piece,but using feel like a one-piece fishing rod ! 2 piece spinning rod allows you to travel to your favorite fishing spot and enjoy fishing whenever and wherever you want.
Best Walleye Rod Buying Guide
Hopefully, you now feel a bit more clued up about what walleye fishing rods there are on the market at the moment, and about the kind of thing that might suit you and your fishing style.
But if you’re feeling a bit confused or overwhelmed still don’t worry. This part of the guide is here to take you through the things you need to look out for when you’re in the market for a good walleye fishing rod so that you can make sure you get the best rod for you!
A walleye rod has to be strong enough to land a big fish, but also allow you to feel their tiny nibbles. You also want to be able to set the hook firmly and deep so that your fish doesn’t wriggle out and away, which means you need a rod that’s decently powerful enough too.
If you're trolling you need a rod that’s less sensitive and more powerful because trolling will put a lot of stress on your gear and you need your rod to be able to measure up.
You mustn’t expect your rod to be perfect, but it does have to work with you and your style so making sure you get the right rod for you is really important. The more you look out for these criteria, the better equipped you’ll be to land some monsters.
If you want to try jigging for walleye then you’ll want to look out for a rod with medium or medium-light power. If your jigging you need your rod to be lightweight enough for fast action, whilst still having enough backbone to handle the fish. A trolling rod should be more powerful with at least a medium-heavy rating that can handle the strain of trolling.
As with any rod, the length of your rod here is important, but it is admittedly less important fishing for walleye than with some other fish. Look for something around 6-6.5 feet, this should be plenty to give you a nice fast tip, but with enough power to hook some decently sized walleye. If you’re trolling you can give your rod a bit more strength with a longer length, but it might be harder to handle.
Walleye tend to nibble quite lightly, so you’re going to need a rod with the sensitivity to let you pick up on the bites you get. Your rod will need to be quite soft to let you feel the bites, so if you’re jigging head towards the rods with the faster actions.
For trolling because you don’t need such a high sensitivity a stiffer rod with a fast action might be the right speed for you. It’s a question of persona preference, so think about what you want and act accordingly.
Best Walleye Rod - FAQ's
How expensive is a walleye rod?
Walleye rods come in a wide range of prices so there’s something for everyone. Be aware though, the more you’re willing to pay the higher your build quality tends to be.