Having a fish scale is an absolute necessity when it comes to fishing, whether you’re a casual or professional angler. The device allows you to gauge the weight of your catches so that you can record your progress and even brag about your success to fellow angling enthusiasts! With fish scales, you will have absolute proof that you have caught yourself a whopper, and that is absolutely crucial when taking part in competitions.
When it comes to finding yourself the perfect pair of fish scales, there are several things that you will need to consider. You will need to ensure that they are not only strong enough to hold the weight of the fish but that they are durable enough to withstand all sorts of atmospheric conditions. You also want them to be easy to use, comfortable to handle, and cheap enough so that they do not burn too much of a hole in your pocket.
There are various fish scales available on the market that would be fantastic additions to your fishing kit. With this being said, we know that the amount of choice can be overwhelming and it can, therefore, be difficult to know which model is right for you. To make the buying process slightly easier for you, we have reviewed some of the best options on the market, outlined their specifications, and gone through their pros and cons.
We have also included a short buyers guide that outlines the sorts of features and qualities you will need to be considering before choosing the right fish scale for you.
Top 5 Best Fish Scales
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Dr.Meter Backlit LCD Display Fishing Scale is one of the most best-selling fishing scales on the market, mainly due to its versatility. It is incredibly lightweight and therefore perfect for carrying around on long days of fishing or even on your travels.
This device is constructed of sturdy, durable materials that are designed to withstand all sorts of challenging atmospheric and aquatic conditions. Its stainless steel construction also means that the scale will not rust or shatter.
Despite the size and portability of this scale, it is incredibly strong and has the capacity to hold up to 110lbs of weight! It is powered by two AAA batteries which are not only easy to access but cheap to replace. The weight of the fish is displayed on the scale’s LCD screen that is designed to work perfectly in all sorts of lighting conditions.
It also guarantees to provide optimum accuracy within 10 grams. Another unique feature of this scale is that it is equipped with a built-in tape measure that can stretch out to a meter long. This is perfect for those anglers who like to make detailed records of the fish they have caught.
- -Constructed of high-quality, durable materials
- -Equipped with built-in tape for measuring
- -Capacity of 100lbs
- -Smooth, sturdy stainless steel handle
- -Not as waterproof as some of the other options
- 【Extreme Accuracy】: The Dr.meter Fishing Scale can weigh both small and large catches alike, from a mere 0.2 lbs. to a jaw dropping 110 lbs.! The state of the art weight sensor provides precise measurements and can convert from lb. to oz. or kg.
- 【Bonus Built-in Tape】: Maybe you also want to know the length of your catch besides weight. We've got it covered! The included measuring tape is ideal for measuring items in either cm or ft. (up to 3 ft.).
- 【Stainless Steel Hook】: Crafted from premium stainless steel, the large and durable hook concealed in the back slot is convenient for you to hook up and remove from fish's mouth, luggage and everything in between.
- 【Endless Possibility】: The Dr. meter Electronic Fishing Scale boasts the specialized functions like weighing unit conversion, data lock, and auto-off function, definitely good news to the amateur and avid fishermen alike!
- 【On-the-go Tool】: Go easy on your hands even after long-term use. This lightweight and portable comes with a built-in carrying strap for easily carrying and using. Better yet, we've included 2 AAA batteries for your convenience.
The KastKing Waterproof Floating Digital Fishing Scale is another fantastic option that is extremely popular on the market. Constructed of a high-strength, ABS frame, this device is not only lightweight and easy to carry but extremely strong and able to withstand up to 110lbs of weight! It offers incredible accuracy up to 1/10th of a pound or in full ounce increments.
This scale allows you to quickly and accurately weigh fish in either pounds, ounces, or kilograms and its memory function allow you to store up to 9 different weights and refer back to them at any time. This is ideal for the serious anglers out there who like to keep a track record of everything they are catching. The device uses AAA batteries that are not only easy and cheap to replace but simple to use. The scales also offer an ‘auto-off’ function which automatically turns off the device after 4 minutes of inactivity.
This device is coated with a TPR coating for optimum grip which is incredibly handy when it comes to dealing with those large, heavy, agitated fish. It also features a smooth, stainless steel hook that can be used to weigh not just fish but luggage and packages. Overall, it is a brilliant choice for anyone looking for a good-quality, reliable scale at an incredibly reasonable price.
- -Lightweight and easy to carry
- -Comfortable, non-slip handle
- -Made of strong, ABS plastic
- -Includes a tape measure
- -The display is not as clear as other options
- Waterproof/Floating Digital Scale – The KastKing MadBite digital scale is both waterproof and it floats! Never lose another scale if dropped into the water with this durable and floating digital scale. Waterproof design keeps it functioning well in all weather conditions.
- Lightweight, Durable handle – High strength ABS handle is strong and light weight and features TPR non-slip sides which give you a firm grip when weighing you’re catch. The wide handle opening makes it easy to hold for any hand size, with or without gloves and the scale weighs only 5.6 ounces.
- Dual Mode Digital Weight Measurements – Quickly and accurately weigh your catch in pounds and ounces from 0-50 lbs or easily convert to Kilogram measurements from 0-22.68 Kilograms. There is also a memory function where you can store up to 9 different weights so can refer to them at any time.
- Easy Storage and Transport – The scale is 10.23” long x 3.14” wide x 1.27” thick and weighs only 5.6 ounces. It has a stainless-steel hook for quickly weighing fish which is 2.36” long and includes a No-Puncture lip gripper that allows you to weigh fish without puncturing the jaw.
- No-Puncture Lip Gripper Included – Includes a No-Puncture Lip Gripper clamp that can be used separately or with the scale for quick and easy weight measurements after landing fish and before release or placement in a livewell. Batteries are included!
The Berkley Digital Fish Scale is another solid scale that offers the perfect balance of affordability and performance. This scale is constructed of high-quality, durable materials that are designed to be almost entirely waterproof. This means that it will be able to survive occasional water splashes and even heavy rainfall which can be incredibly reassuring for anglers.
It has the capacity to weigh anything below 50lbs which is typically more than enough for the average angler. It also comes equipped with a 1.2 M measuring tape which is ideal for competitive fishers. This device is equipped with a memory function that allows you to store up to 10 weights. It is also equipped with a tare feature that allows you to measure the combined weight of multiple fish.
These scales come equipped with an easy-to-hold handle that is both comfortable and strong enough to hold the weight of those large, aggressive underwater predators. This particular device is also incredibly lightweight and therefore perfect for taking away on your travels.
- -Comes with an auto-save function
- -Easy to use
- -Comfortable to handle
- -Very reasonably priced
- -Some buyers have reported issues with accuracy
- Portable digital scale with tape measure
- Water resistant construction weighs up to 50 lb. /23 kg
- Stores up to 10 weights in memory
- Tare feature allows combined weight of multiple fish
- Attachable 48 in/1. 2 M tape measure
If you’re on the market for a low-cost tournament fish scale, you probably do not need to look any further. This scale is constructed of heavy-duty, durable materials and is designed to support up to 15lbs of weight. This means that it is perfect working with a wide range of fish species. The materials are also incredibly waterproof which means you will not have to worry about the scale being damaged if accidentally dropped in water or caught in a heavy rainfall.
The device offers a large display screen which allows you to clearly see the weight of your fish in either lbs, stones, or kilos. The screen is also backlit which ensures you will be able to clearly see the readings, no matter what time of day you are fishing. It also features a comfortable sling handle which is easy on the wrists and provides you with extra control when dealing with heavier, more aggressive fish types. The device also features an ‘auto-off’ function which ensures that you will always save battery where possible.
This is a fantastic, affordable fish scale that would guarantee years of accurate and reliable use.
- -Large, backlit display
- -Heavy-duty, durable construction
- -Great value for money
- -Comfortable, tractive handle
- -The screen is prone to scratching
- Large Digital Touch Screen. Heavy-Duty Composite Weigh Clamp or Stainless Steel Hook. Back-Up Memory.
- 8 Piece Culling System. 3 Weight Display Options. Water Resistant.
- Back Light
- Ambient Temperature
- Tare Weight
The FishFun Fish Scale is another wonderful option. It is constructed of high-duty, sturdy materials and is protected with a 3mm rubber coated shell. This shell ensures that the scale is constantly protected against abrasion and other corrosive conditions. It features a smooth, rotary handle which not only feels incredibly comfortable in the hand but allows you to control big, strong fish types such as largemouth trout and giant bass.
This device is known for its user-friendly properties, which include its low battery indicator, its auto-off feature, and overload feature. The low battery indicator will warn you when the device is need of battery replacement whilst the auto-off feature will turn off the device after a few minutes of inactivity to save battery. The overload feature works to alert you when there is too much pressure put on the hook of the scale.
This device also features a clear and backlit display screen which allows you to see the weight of your fish in the option of lbs, stones, or kilograms. It even comes with a built-in tape-measure for ultimate precision when it comes to tracking your catches.
- -Easy to read
- -Sturdy, durable construction
- -Comfortable to use
- -Comes with a built-in tape measure
- -Provides extremely accurate readings
- -Not very waterproof
- 【Uncompromising Accuracy】- Fishfun fishing scale uses 8mm thicken aluminum alloy as the sensor to ensure accurate and consistent measuring from 0.2 lbs to 110 lbs. Accurate to 1/10th of a pound or in 20g increments. Measures in kg, lb, lb:oz.
- 【Easy to Use】 - 3” rubberized handle allows all your fingers to grip firmly; Rotary handle with precise sensor makes it fast to register the exact weight, even when lifting heavy items; Large and strong hook concealed in the back slot is convenient for you to hook up fish mouth, luggage handle.
- 【More Than A Fishing Scale】 - The fish scales digital weight has 3 modes: 1.Hold function to weigh a static load such as a bass, luggage; 2.Hold function also could be turned off to continually track a weight; 3.Peak/Max mode to verify your compound bow draw weight or exercise bands weight.
- 【Power Saving】 - Improved power saving circuit combined with stable working voltage to make the digital scale last for 120 hours at non-backlight condition; Switch off after 1 minute of inactivity; The provided 3 AAA batteries last long.
- 【User-friendly】- Over load, low battery indication, zero, tare, auto-off, hold function; Largest backlight LCD display; Battery storage cover screwed in the back of the digital scale, never worry about it falling out or lost.
Best Fish Scales Buying Guide
When it comes to buying a pair of fish scales, you want to ensure that they are not going to let you down. With so much choice on the market, it can be confusing to know exactly what you should be looking for. Below, we have listed a number of factors that you should be considering when looking for a pair of fish scales that will allow you to gain a better understanding of what to look for.
An important feature that you will need to consider when buying a pair of fish scales is its screen display. The display is what will show you the fish’s weight in pounds and ounces as well as kilograms. Many of the devices on the market come with an LCD screen which will allow you to easily see the weight of the fish you have just caught. Many of these models will also be equipped with a backlit function which is particularly useful for those who like to fish at dusk or late at night. Trying to control a fish during the weighing process can be extremely difficult so to be able to read the weight as clearly and quickly as possible is a huge bonus.
Another crucial factor that you will need to keep in mind is the scales’ durability. Ideally, you will want your scales to be made of high-quality, abrasion-resistant materials that are going to be able to withstand all sorts of harsh aquatic and atmospheric conditions. Due to the nature of fishing, it is also likely that your scales will experience the odd splash of water so it is important to look out for waterproof properties. You also want it to be strong enough to survive the odd drop to the ground whilst being lightweight enough to comfortably carry in your bag.
All fish scales have a maximum capacity that they cannot surpass. This is why it is so important to ensure you are buying a fishing scale that is suitable for the type of fish that you tend to target. All of the scales above come with different weight capacities and even the smallest option is able to hold up to 20lbs. Whilst this is usually more than enough for most anglers, it wouldn’t harm to get yourself a scale of a higher weight capacity. This will ensure that you never experience the situation of not being able to record an impressive catch!
Having an easy-to-use attachment mechanism is an extremely beneficial feature of fishing scales. The most popular kind of attachment mechanism is a simple hook that fits under the gill plate of the fish you have caught. You will want to ensure that the hook is strong enough to both withstand and control the fish at the end of the scale as this will allow you to gain a more accurate reading. You should also try and look for a scale with an exceptionally sharp hook as this will make it easier for the fish to stay put.
Another important factor you will need to consider when buying a fish scale is how it is powered. In terms of digital scales, the majority will simply require a few batteries that are both cheap and easy to replace. These batteries will last you a very long time depending on how often you are using the scales. You should look out for devices with an ‘auto-off’ feature as this will automatically turn off the device after several minutes of inactivity and hence, save power. You can also find models with a ‘low battery warning’ feature that will pre-warn you when it is time to replace the scale’s batteries. If you prefer the idea of a more old-fashioned, classic model, then you can always go for a ‘mechanical’ scale. These scales are easy to use and do not require any sort of battery but they are known to be slightly less accurate.
The handle of the fish scale is an extremely important part of the device that is typically underrated. If you are putting a large fish at the end of your scale, it is going to be incredibly difficult to control and uncomfortable to handle if the scale is equipped with a badly made handle. If you are looking to target large, heavy fish, you should always look for a scale with a tractive, rubber handle that will ensure you have plenty of grip. On the other hand, if you tend to target smaller fish types, a rounded stainless-steel handle will work just fine.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I spend on fish scales?
There is no need to spend a ridiculous amount on fishing scales as there are several perfectly good scales out there at very reasonable prices. With this being said, you definitely don’t want to settle for an incredibly cheap, badly made pair of scales that are only going to disappoint as soon as you get out onto the water. Ideally, you will find yourself a pair of decent digital scales that are not only portable, lightweight, and easy to use but extremely accurate in their readings. To get this kind of device, you do not have to spend a huge amount of money and they will typically last you several years of reliable use.
How do I use my fishing scales?
Once you have the fish secured in the net, you should dip the weighing sling into the water and make sure it is completely wet. You should wait for the excess water to drain out and then hang the weighing sling on the scales. You should then ensure that the scales are set to zero by either moving the dial or pressing the ‘0’button on the device. Once the scales are all set, you can transfer the fish into the weighing sling.
You should then hold the weighing scales until you achieve a steady reading from the device. If the fish is moving around, you should wait until it stops before taking the reading. Once the reading has been done, you should keep a note of it in a notebook or on your electronic device.