When it comes to ice fishing, you will need to ensure that you are equipped with a strong, flexible fishing line that can withstand frigid temperatures and abrasive conditions. After hours of being submerged in freezing water, fishing lines can be extremely difficult to cast.
When temperatures drop, the reel will become susceptible to freezing over and this can be extremely frustrating, especially if you have travelled a long way to get to that ice fishing spot. To avoid this from happening and to ensure that your ice fishing trip goes as smoothly as possible, you should consider investing in a high-quality fishing line that will do nothing but enhance your performance.
Luckily, there is a vast range of ice fishing lines on the market that offer the perfect balance of quality, durability, and affordability. With such a wide variety to choose from, it can be difficult to know which option to go for, which is why it is so important to do your research beforehand. To make this process slightly easier for you, we have reviewed 5 of the best ice fishing lines on the market.
We have gone through their specifications, pros, and cons, and listed a few of the factors you should be considering before deciding which ice fishing line is best for you.
Top 5 Best Ice Fishing Lines
OUR TOP PICK
This braided fishing line from Reaction Tackle is one of the world’s strongest, high-performing ice fishing lines. Composed of 100% UHMWPE coated fibres, this line is designed to withstand the roughest of conditions and the coldest of temperatures so you will not have to worry about this line fraying, freezing or snapping.
This line also has nearly zero stretch which is ideal when it comes to targeting those larger, heavier fish as it won’t twist or get out of control like the majority of monofilament fishing lines. Despite this, the line is ultra-thin and much smaller in diameter than many of the other fishing lines on the market.
This fishing line is available in a range of lengths and weight capacities, meaning it will be suitable for you whether you’re going to be targeting Trout, Walleye, Muskie, or Bass. The line is also available in a range of low-vis and high-vis colors. If you have particularly good eyesight, you could opt for the ‘camouflage blue’ or the ‘dark grey’.
These color lines will allow you to easily trick the fish. If you are going to be targeting smaller fish, you may want to opt for a much brighter colored line such as ‘neon yellow’ or ‘multi-color’ which will allow you to easily see the bites that you might not necessarily feel. If you do this, you may need to attach an invisible line to its end so that the fish will not be spooked by the bright color.
- -Extremely strong and durable
- -Available for a range of different fish types
- -Thin, round and extremely easy to use
- -Great value for money
- -Available in both hi-vis and low-vis colors
- -Some customers have reported issues with the line color bleeding
- Ultimate strength, near zero stretch, high-quality braided fishing line
- 100% UHMWPE, the world’s strongest fiber, advanced high power, manufactured to the highest quality standards
- Super thin and slick, pro grade, flies though fishing rod guides, small diameter compared to other types of fishing line makes this string super strong, heavy duty and hard to break, helping you catch more fish
- Great value, high quality braid for a fraction of the price of most major competitors. Now available in 10, 20, 30, 50, 65, 80, 100, 120, 150 and 200 pound test lines
- Whether you fish for Bass, Trout, Walleye, Muskie or any other species, our line will perform great in freshwater, saltwater, surf fishing, ice fishing or bowfishing, you know you can trust Reaction Tackle for all your fishing gear
The RUNCL Powerfluoro Fluorocarbon fishing line is another incredible option for the ice fishing enthusiasts out there. Constructed of a copolymer core with 100% fluorocarbon coating, this line has incredible abrasion resistance, shock strength, and knot integrity.
The added copolymer also works to add flexibility and reduced memory making it the perfect line for fishing in those frigid, often extreme conditions. Its extraordinary strength allows it to withstand those sudden, aggressive strikes that would typically cause the line to break. This is what makes it so popular among ice anglers who are targeting larger fish species such as trout and jumbo perch.
What’s unique about this line is that it is virtually invisible. The fluorocarbon’s light refractive index means that once placed in water, the line is almost entirely camouflaged. This allows the fish to be easily fooled so that they will bite the lure at the end of the line. The high density and non-absorbent construction of the line means it will sink a lot faster than your typical monofilament line of the same diameter.
This means that the lures will quickly reach the desired trolling depth which will make your overall fishing experience much more efficient. The low stretch and high sensitivity of the line ensures that you will feel even the slightest of bites from the fish, which is extremely important, especially when it comes to invisible lines.
- -Low stretch and high sensitivity
- -Fast sinking ability
- -Virtually invisible in the water
- -Incredible abrasion resistance
- -Added copolymer for added flexibility and reduced memory
- -Not great for catching smaller fish as you will not be able to visibly detect the lighter bites
- Hybrid Line: The PowerFluoro is constructed of a 100% fluorocarbon outer coating with copolymer core, the fluorocarbon coating produces outstanding shock strength, abrasion resistance and knot strength to deliver the ultimate in impact strength, and added copolymer that adds flexibility, knot strength and reduced memory
- Virtually Invisible: The fluorocarbon's light-refractive index is nearly identical to water, makes line virtually invisible to fish in the water for a stealthy presentation, which can be used in any water conditions
- Ultimate Strength: The PowerFluoro's amazing strength allows it to withstand sudden, aggressive strikes and deliver solid hooksets, provides excellent shock strength, abrasion resistance and knot strength for maximum castability
- Faster Sinking: Features high-density construction with non-absorbency (it won't freeze, which makes it great for ice fishing), helps to sink faster than monofilament of the same diameter, allows lures to rapidly reach the desired trolling depth to catch the fish
- Low Stretch & Extra Sensitivity: Possess a constant uniform diameter with low stretch and extra sensitivity, letting you feel even the slightest bite from fish. You'll soon see your catch ratio shooting up!
The Sufix Ice Magic Clear Fishing Line is an ice fishing line designed to perform exceptionally well in all weather conditions. When temperatures fall below freezing, this line will repel water and stay warm due to the special additives added to its composition.
This makes it a fantastic option for anyone who is going to be fishing in those extremely cold conditions. Composed of monofilament, the Sufix Ice Magic Clear Fishing Line is incredibly strong and easy to manage. No matter how cold the water is, the line will retain its strength and flexibility.
The line is available in a range of weight capacities, meaning it is a wonderful option for a wide range of anglers, no matter what species of fish you are planning on targeting. Despite coming in a variety of lengths, the line is extremely versatile in terms of temperature tolerance, so no matter what conditions you use it in, the line will perform accordingly.
The line is extremely light and low density when used in the water, which means it is both comfortable to use and will sink a lot faster than your typical line. This line is valued for its ability to refract light, which gives it that ‘clear’ color. This makes it a great choice for anyone concerned about fish being able to see the line under the water.
- -Manageable in frigid weather conditions
- -Prevents water absorption and ice build-up
- -High strength and impressive durability
- -Versatile temperature tolerance
- -Very inexpensive
- -The line is not overly sensitive
- Sufix ice magic is an all temperature line designed to stay manageable
- Remains strong and repel water even when the temperature drops below freezing
- This makes it an excellent choice for ice fishing
The KastKing World’s Premium Monofilament line is another brilliant contender. Made with paralleled roll track technology, this line has an exceptionally good reel capacity for easy handling and casting. It is a monofilament line meaning it is exceptionally strong and durable.
Its low-absorbing construction gives the line less limpness and quicker retrieval which will make for a much smoother and efficient fishing experience. The line is also designed to stay warm even when the temperatures drop exceptionally low so you will have no problems with the line freezing over or breaking when faced with heavy bate.
Unlike its fluorocarbon competitors, is has relatively low memory and stretch meaning it delivers solid hooksets and provides better control when it comes to reeling in bate. Its low visibility also ensures that you will be able to easily fool the fish and its high sensitivity will allow you to feel those bites that you might not be able to visually detect.
Despite its impressive qualities, the KastKing World’s Premium Monofilament Fishing Line is exceptionally good value for money and would be the perfect choice for anyone who will be buying their line in bulk.
- -Great value for money
- -Low memory
- -Able to resist abrasive conditions and extremely low temperatures
- -Fast sinking ability
- -Virtually invisible in the water
- -Not as strong as the other options
- LOW MEMORY – KastKing mono is made with Paralleled Roll Track technology resulting in better reel capacity for easier handling and casting!
- ABRASION RESISTANT – You can now take on a good bass fishing fight with nylon line.
- SUPERIOR CLARITY PLUS COLORS – Rest assure that your clear line will remain more invisible than ever and colored monofilament are available for many fishing tactics!
- LOW ABSORPTION – Gives the line less limpness and quicker retrieval, allowing any angler to have peace of mind to fish almost any condition and techniques with confidence.
- QUALITY GUARANTEED – When it comes to KastKing, we’re all about keeping fishing fun by keeping it affordable! KastKing’s monofilament reduces line breakage at the knot and perfect for freshwater or saltwater fishing.
The Berkley FireLine Superline Fishing Line is one of the strongest, most abrasion-resistant lines on the ice fishing market. Made from micro-fused Dyneema PE fibers, this line is designed to be 3-4 times stronger than your average monofilament fishing line.
Despite the weight of this line and its incredibly thin diameter, it offers unbelievable lure action and smooth casting. This line is not only abrasion resistant but UV resistant, meaning it won’t deteriorate when left in freezing waters or direct sunlight.
The line is known for being exceptionally sensitive which is perfect when it comes to targeting those smaller, lighter fish. Despite this, it is incredibly strong and can hold medium-sized fish with ease. The line features a unique fusing process that produces a round profile. This works to prevent separation and fraying of the fibers which is an extremely frustrating and common issue among ice fishers.
The line is available in a range of lengths from 100 yards to 300 yards meaning there will be a suitable option for you no matter how much length you require. The line also comes in a variety of colors including ‘smoke’, ‘flame green’, and ‘clear’ to suit all angling preferences.
Whilst this line is rather expensive in comparison to the other options, this price does not come without reason. If you are a serious, experienced ice fisher looking for ultimate reliability and high performance, this would be a fantastic option for you.
- -One of the strongest, most abrasion-resistant lines on the market
- -Available in a variety of colors and lengths
- -Features fusion construction which prevents fiber separation and breakage
- -UV resistant
- -Can be easily knotted
- -Expensive in comparison to the other options
- Quickly and easily measure line depth and distance while fishing
- Easily know the distance between your rod tip and bait
- Revolutionizes these techniques: vertical jigging, trolling (crankbaits and Rigging), drop-shooting, slip Bobbers, crappie Spider Rigging, ice fishing and more
- Five, 10-foot color sections. Pattern repeats
- Same trusted Fire Line construction - the strongest, most abrasion-resistant super line in its class
Best Ice Fishing Lines Buying Guide
When it comes to buying an ice fishing line, there are several factors you will need to consider. The fishing line you choose will have a profound effect on the quality of your ice fishing experience so it is extremely important to ensure you are buying the right one for you.
With so many different options available on the market, it can be easy to make the wrong choice and end up with a fishing line that doesn’t suit your needs, especially if you are new to the sport. To avoid this from happening, you will need to consider these factors listed below. We hope that with this information, you will be able to make a much more rational decision.
Type of ice fishing line
You will find that there are three main types of ice fishing lines: fluorocarbon, monofilament, and braided lines. Each of these line types offer benefits, but they also have their disadvantages. To know which type of line to buy, you will need to consider the attributes of each type.
Fluorocarbon lines are renowned for their resistance against abrasion, incredible flexibility, and invisibility. The low stretch of the line provides high sensitivity which means it is great for detecting those subtle bites. The issue with the fluorocarbon line is that it doesn’t often cope as well in extremely frigid temperatures compared to the other types.
Monofilament lines are renowned for being extremely durable and excelling in extremely cold conditions. Due to its lower memory, it is less susceptible to tangling whilst its low stretch provides you with better control. Monofilament lines are typically cheaper than other types but they will usually have to be replaced a lot more frequently, due to their lack of resistance against abrasion.
-Braided fishing lines
Braided fishing lines are generally the go-to option for deep ice water fishing or sheltered ice water fishing. It is typically very thin in diameter and known for its lack of stretch, lower memory, high sensitivity, and incredible strength. The disadvantage of braided fishing lines is that they are often susceptible to ice-build up.
As an ice fisher, the last thing you want is to have to keep replacing your ice fishing lines between each use. To ensure that your line will see you through many days of fishing, you should check that is both UV and abrasion-resistant. If fishing lines are made of weak, low-quality fibers, when exposed to friction they will be susceptible to fraying and breakage. To ensure that your ice fishing line will be free from such damage, you will want to choose a line that is made with high-quality, strong fiber technology.
Ideally, your fishing line will be a bright color such as red, yellow, green, or pink. This will enable you to detect even the lightest of bites that you wouldn’t necessarily be able to feel. With this being said, fish are very intelligent and won’t bite if they can see the line themselves. To ensure that the fish will not be deterred, you will need to attach an invisible fluorocarbon line to the end of the original line by tying a knot.
Due to the nature of ice fishing, you will need to ensure that your fishing line is strong enough to withstand harsh and freezing conditions. Ice can be extremely abrasive and the water can be incredibly corrosive, so your line must be built with strong, durable fibers. The line will also need to be strong enough to lift and reel fish out of the water.
You should look out for lines with hydrophobic water repellent as these will not absorb water and will resist freezing over. Regular fishing lines will not be able to withstand such conditions and if used for ice fishing, they will be susceptible to warping, stiffening, or snapping. This is why it is extremely important to purchase a line that is suited to ice fishing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is line memory?
The memory of a line refers to the shape it retains when spooled. A high memory line will have low sensitivity and will have a lot of slack whilst a zero-low memory line has high-sensitivity and will not retain its shape when spooled. The best ice fishing lines will have zero-low memory, and this is often found in braided lines. Typically, fluorocarbon lines have the worst memory.
Can I use regular fishing lines for ice fishing?
Regular fishing lines are not designed to withstand cold and abrasive conditions, so it is important to equip yourself with a line that is specifically designed for ice fishing. When used in these conditions, regular fishing lines will likely freeze over, fray and break, which can be extremely frustrating and a waste of money.
With this being said, there are several all-purpose fishing lines that are built with high-resistance and extreme strength, so these can be used for various types of angling including warm water fishing and ice fishing. Additionally, different lines are designed for different types and sizes of fish and it is very unlikely that you will find a line that will be suitable for all kinds of fish.
You should refer to the product specifications to determine which line strength you will need for the species of fish you will be targeting.