Fishing is an activity that can be immensely fun if you are equipped with the right type of reel. Most beginners prefer a spin casting reel, and experts settle for the baitcasting ones.
But if you are looking for something that falls right in the middle, then the spinning reel should be your choice.
With a spinning reel, you are less likely to encounter difficulties. Backlashes and tangling are rare instances. These reels are also more versatile and come in a wide range of sizes. You can go saltwater fishing or choose to dunk your line in a pond with a spinning reel. It is good for all sizes of fish.
What makes spinning reel the most popular among anglers is its ease of use, smoothness, and cost-effectiveness. This type of reels offers various features, and a few best ones are priced very reasonably.
If you are in search of a cost-effective spinning reel with which you can reel in fishes smoothly, then you are reading the right article. Here we have listed the five best spinning reels under 50 dollars.
In case you are wondering about the right way to choose the best spinning reel, read our buying guide. We have discussed several things you must consider before purchasing a spinning reel.
As we have already taken the affordability-factor into account, we will make certain that no matter which spinning reel you choose from the list, it does not break your bank.
Top 5 Best Spinning Reels Under $50
OUR TOP PICK
This spinning reel packs a powerful combination of affordability, well-made design, and quality.
Anglers all over the world love the Okuma Ceymar reel, irrespective of its price. Although it is pretty reasonable and most sizes come under 50 dollars. This reel is available in the sizes— 10, 20, 30, 40, 55, and 65. If you want to fish in a pond or smaller freshwater bodies, a smaller 10 or 20 is fine.
However, we recommend the size 30 for versatility. It has 145 yards of line and can successfully retrieve catfish, bass, walleye, etc.
If you have a love for fishing in the oceans, then the seawater monsters would require the size 55 or 65.
It boasts of seven ball bearings and anti-reverse bearings. This actually helps in smooth casting. Its powerful multi-disc drag system offers maximized drag strength and prevents the line from breaking. This spinning reel has an ambidextrous design that can be used by both right and left-handed people.
The heavy-duty aluminum line, along with an oversized roller, lets you go fishing confidently. It also has a brass pinion gear and a corrosion-resistant blade that does not let time wear your fishing tool away.
Because of all the above-mentioned features coupled with its affordability quotient, it is the best spinning reel under 50 dollars in our view.
- This reel has a multi-disc drag system
- Ambidextrous design
- Features corrosion-resistant blade
- Slower gear ratio of 5:0:1
- Used by professionals worldwide
- Tested for reliability and quality
- Made using the highest quality materials
- LIGHTWEIGHT COMFORT – Designed with comfort in mind. The soft touch and feel of the light weight, EVA handles knobs, combined with the graphite body construction, bring you a reel that is light and strong starting out at just 6 ounces in weight
If you are looking for a cost-effective reel that is well-designed, versatile and has many size choices, then you cannot do better than the Piscifun Flame spinning reel.
Its sizes range from 2000 to 5000. The maximum drag capacity is 19.8lb, which offers enough endurance to reel in larger fishes like stripers, salmons, and flounders.
If you are more into freshwater fishing, size 2000 and 3000 will do great. Our suggestion to saltwater loving anglers is to settle for the 4000 or the 5000 variants.
This spinning reel features nine ball bearings for smooth operation. It gives you the exact precision that you expect from a good quality reel.
Do you know what the best part is? All its variants are under 50 dollars! It is an extremely lightweight reel that is easy to mount and handle, which makes it a superb choice for beginners.
It is one of the best spinning reels under 50 dollars because it exhibits a nice blend of good performance, stylish design, and affordability.
Its buttery smooth retrieves performance, triple drag washers, anti-corrosion zinc drive gear, super even line lay, and unique spool lodges it as one of the most reliable options out there.
- The lightweight reel is easy to mount and operate
- Wide and cost effect size range
- Nine-ball bearings give it a smooth performance
- Setting the bail takes a while
- Exquisite Appearance - The matte black body paired with red aluminum spool, perfectly indicate its name Flame. You will be flattered by having this sharp and modern spinning fishing reels with unique hollow body, X shape spool and personalized handle. Far more advanced feeling than other spinning reels at its price
- Lightweight - Thanks to the relatively narrow hollow graphite body and the lightweight reel gears, the Piscifun Flame spinning reels light to 8.5oz, makes you enjoy the ultimate fishing trips
- Incredible Smooth - 9 quality ball bearings plus one roller bearing paired with precision gears engagement, you will enjoy the buttery smooth performance on the Flame spinning fishing reel. Better to choose 2000 and 3000 series reels if you are into freshwater fishing. If you are chasing big fish or saltwater species, 4000 and 5000 would be better option
- Pure Power - Piscifun Flame fishing reels offers incredible drag power up to 19.8Lb. Plenty great features have been given to this spin reel, the reinforced metal main shaft, high quality drive gear, precisely machined brass pinion gear and triple drag washers, make you easily fight with the giants
- Braid Ready Spool - Only available on high end spinning reels braid ready spool makes the Piscifun Flame sa super value reel. Piscifun is continuously providing the most cost effective fishing tackle for you anglers
The Okuma Avenger ABF 40 is a superior tournament-grade product that rightfully occupies a spot on this article. This is one of the most loved spinning reels out there.
The features and design are superior to most of the products in its class. This spinning reel features a Japanese oiled felt multi-disc drag system and six ball bearings for the smoothest fishing experience for seasoned as well as beginner anglers.
The corrosion-resistant graphite body offers it durability. The reel has 290 yards of 10 lb line that lets you cast really far and retract medium-sized fishes. The maximum drag of the ABF 40 is 14 pounds.
It is packed with terrific features like anti-reverse roller bearing, brass pinion gear, S-curve oscillating system, precision elliptical gearing system, watertight drag seal, stainless bail wire, etc.
It also comes with a year of warranty. But if you trust the users and reviewers, this reel will last many years to come.
There is a bait feeding system installed in this reel that allows the fish to pick the bait without realizing the tension of the drag. Once it strikes, you can engage the lever to retrieve it. It also features a rear drag system for better line adjustment.
If you are interested in catching bigger fishes, then the Okuma Avenger ABF 65 could be more suitable for you. It is a value-for-money spinning reel that you can purchase under the 70-dollar mark.
- It has a bait feeding system
- Has secondary rear drag
- Six ball bearing makes angling easier
- Includes spare spools
- Costlier than other reels on the list
If you are looking for a lightweight and ergonomic reel that is suitable for both saltwater as well as freshwater fishing, then this one will give you a worthwhile experience
The Shimano IX4000RC is one of the best fishing reels that features a rust-resistant graphite side plate, rotor, and spool.
This reel has a rear drag system that makes sure that you incur no interference, which might be the case with front drag systems. The rear drag also provides a good deal of line adjustment to make fishing smoother and much easier.
If you are a beginner, then this spinning reel can be a good point to start with. Experienced anglers are also welcome to try out this incredibly lightweight and cost-effective spinning reel by Shimano.
It has 200 yards of line, and the maximum drag is 15lbs, which is good enough if you want to go fishing for small salmons, bass, sea trout, etc. But if you are just beginning or intend to catch smaller fishes, then the 8lbs variant should be good enough for you.
It weighs about 11.4oz, which is fairly lightweight. It should not be a hassle to mount or operate. It also has a decent gear ratio of 4:1:1.
Overall, we think it to be one of the best spinning reels under 50 dollars because of its ease of use, good design, and cost-effectiveness.
- Corrosion-resistant graphite side plate
- Smooth rear drag system
- Superior line management
- Extremely cost-effective spinning reel.
- Does not have continuous anti-reverse
Our final entry on this list is the KastKing Centron Spinning Reel. It has nine ball bearings and an instant acting anti-reverse bearing for the best performance.
Users find this particular reel a terrific choice for bass fishing. Of course, you can use it to catch a wide variety of other fishes. It has anodized aluminum spool, and a maximum drag power is 17.5 lb., which can fetch you decently large fishes.
The machined pinion gear lets it bear all the fighting your catch puts up before you successfully reel it in.
Like casting your fishing line far? Then this should be the perfect spinning reel for you as its power launch lip enables farther casting.
If you are a lover of ice fishing, you can find the best spinning reel for ice fishing in this range.
Users also love this spinning reel because of its unique looks. The black and blue, corrosion-resistant graphite frame design is an asset that lets you go fishing in style.
- Nine-ball bearing gives a thorough performance
- Instant anti-reverse feature
- Lightweight and stylish
- Smoothness diminishes over time
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on price. KastKing Summer/Centron offers the best value...at any level. The KastKing Summer Fishing Reel turns any angler into a PRO.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and computer balancing system combined with high performance in the compact Spinning Reel makes KastKing Summer/Centron an awesome gift for anybody who loves fishing.
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible stopping power up to 17.5LBs. It has a hardened metal main shaft, perfect mesh drive gear and precision machined pinion gear for fish fighting power.
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing give it ultra-smooth performance.
- LOOKING GOOD - Summer/Centron's attractive, brilliant finish and its high strength two color anodized aluminum spool, with a power launch lip for farther casting, holds more line than competitor's models that sell for much more.
Best Spinning Reels Under $50 Buying Guide
Fishing is one of the favorite summertime activities for many in the US. Many of us even like to go ice fishing. But to be a pro at fishing, you will have to be equipped with the best spinning reel.
Let's get to know the things you should take into consideration to purchase the best reel within a budget.
Choose the Correct Size of Reel
- Size 1000 to 3000: These are smaller spinning reels that are designed for freshwater fishing. These can reel in fishes that are small and weigh between 2lbs to 12lbs.
- Size 4000 to 5500: This is the class of medium-sized spinning reels. These offer more versatility and are suitable for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. However, these might snap if you accidentally bait a sea giant. The maximum drag is about 25lbs.
- Size 6000 to 9500: These are larger size reels that are more suited for saltwater fishing. This type of reel is designed for larger fishing rods. The line can fetch trophy-size catches that are 30+ lbs.
- Size 10000 to 30000: If you are in for catching sea beasts, this is the size you should select. These are heavy-duty reels and are mostly pricey.
The Body Material
The body of the spinning reel decides its durability to a great extent. Decent spinning reels have either aluminum or graphite bodies.
The aluminum reel body is a better option for people who rank durability over ease of operation, as these tend to be slightly heavier.
The graphite bodies, on the other hand, are pretty lightweight, but their flex tends to diminish with continuous use.
Whether you choose aluminum or graphite, make sure its build quality is up to the mark and does not corrode or snap any time soon.
Consider Where You Fish
Decide whether you would go fishing in a freshwater lake or the seas with your fishing rod and reel.
You will be okay with just about any reel if you decide to go freshwater fishing. But the story is different with saltwater. Hard water of the ocean can have a massive corrosive effect on your fishing reel.
For saltwater fishing, you will have to choose a spinning reel that is thoroughly corrosion resistant. It should also have tight-fitting gaskets that keep the damaging effects of saltwater at bay.
Type of Fishing Lines
- Monofilament Line: This is the most common type of line and is also the most cost-effective. The monofilament lines are uniform and spool uniformly. These are made of nylon and are not the strongest. You might have to change a monofilament line annually.
- Braided Lines: These lines have twice the strength of monofilament lines. They are also slightly thicker and heavier. You can cast them further, and they also sink in deeper. These are way more durable and won't require frequent re-spooling.
- Fluorocarbon Fishing Line: It is easy to bait fish using these lines as these are completely invisible underwater. However, these aren't very common.
Gear Ratio: Power vs. Speed
Gear ratio means the number of times a spool will rotate when you make a full circle of the handle. If the spool is slow to turn, this means that you have a sturdy spinning reel in your grip. But it compromises on the speed. If your spool turns faster, it will give you speed, but such reels aren’t as sturdy.
Anti-reverse prevents accidental unwinding. You control this feature with the help of a lever that is positioned towards the rear of the reel. The anti-reverse feature is quite a useful thing in a spinning reel. If you don’t want your line to come back without a catch even after successful baiting, then this is the feature you would want in your spinning reel.
The price of a spinning reel decides its worth. Since this is an article that features the best spinning reels under 50 dollars, all the products on it are affordable. Even then, there are price differences. Compare the products in terms of price and features to choose the one that suits your liking.
Best Spinning Reels Under $50 - FAQ's
What is the best cheap spinning reel?
Many spinning reels will offer a bang for your buck. Among them, the best five spinning reels are:
- Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
- Piscifun Flame Spinning Reels
- Okuma Avenger ABF Spinning Reel
- Shimano IX4000RC Spinning Reel
- KastKing Centron Spinning Reels
What side should my reel handle be on?
If you are a right-handed person, your reel handle should be on the left side. If you are a left-handed person, the handle of the spinning reel should be on the right side.
There is nothing wrong if you do anything different. However, it is easier to hold the rod with your working hand and engage the other hand for the handle.
What are the different types of fishing reels?
There are four major types of fishing reels;
Spincast reels — These are the most cost-effective and are best for beginners. Spincast reels are the easiest to use.
Spinning Reels — The spinning reels offer better flexibility and are cost-effective too. However, these are slightly more complex than the spincast reels.
Baitcasting reels — These have higher cranking power and more line capacity. Experienced anglers are better off using baitcasting reels. Read our Baitcasting Reels Under $100 article.
Trolling reels — it features stronger drag, more durability, and better accuracy. Suitable for larger fishes and experienced anglers.
How do I choose a spinning reel?
To choose the best spinning reel, make sure that it is of your desired size. It should be durable and feature an ergonomic handle. Your reel should have a decent drag system as well.
Look for a spinning reel that has ball bearings over the count of four. The more the number of bearings, the smoother your spinning reel is to operate. For the best experience, choose a spinning reel that has continuous anti-reverse.
What is the difference between spinning and baitcasting reels?
Baitcasting reels are heavier and have a wider spool that can accommodate thicker braided lines in a better manner as compared to the spinning reels. Baitcasting reels are also more accurate as compared to the spinning reels and cost more.
A spinning reel makes a good option for both beginners and experienced fishing enthusiasts. But you will need some experience to handle a baitcasting reel. Read our Baitcaster Reels For Beginners article.
The requirement of one angler is different from the other. To make an all-encompassing article, we have included a variety of spinning reels.
These are all best-performing products that are highly rated and reviewed by users on Amazon.
We sincerely hope this article was informative and helpful, and it helped you find the spinning reel you were looking for.