No matter what your experience almost every angler dream about catching a really big fish. Whether you can only get out on the water at the weekend, or you’re a budding professional everyone dreams about facing the exciting challenge of going up against one of the big trophy fish, and winning.
For a chance to make this dream a reality you need the best baitcasting rod you can get. Having the right equipment massively increases your chance of nabbing one of these species and knowing you’ve got a rod you can trust by your side is a great confidence booster.
Baitcaster rods can be harder to master, but the rewards for your efforts are amazing so it’s no wonder that as anglers gain experience they tend to prefer them.
When looking for a baitcaster rod you need something durable and is the right length, power, and action for you and your fishing style. The right rod will make casting heavier lures easier, and be lightweight enough for comfortably use even if you’re on the water for hours but with enough backbone to haul in the big, heavy fish that hide in deep water or areas with a lot of vegetation.
There are so many different brands and models out there it can be hard finding the right rod for you, that’s why we’ve done the leg work for you and put together our top 5 rods currently available right now.
We’ll also take you through some of the main features to keep in mind when choosing your rod and answer some of your questions.
Top 5 Best Baitcasting Rod
OUR TOP PICK
KastKing has a reputation for crafting well-made, quality rods at an accessible price point, and this rod is a great example of why so many anglers love this brand. This carbon fiber rod comes in both 1 pcs and 2pcs design options, so if you value portability this might be a good choice for you.
This is a great option for those willing to invest in a good rod, but not looking to break the bank. This option feels on the same level as other more expensive options, and as each rod comes with two tips it’s a great value package.
The carbon fiber blanks keep the rod lightweight without interfering with the power you need to haul in the larger fish species. The rod casts well and sets hook accurately and remains sensitive enough to let you feel a wide range of bites. The portable option functions the same as the 1 pcs design due to the KastKing joining technology which allows the power to flow through the rod in the same way as 1 pcs construction.
The features Fuji O-ring line guides are very high quality and help the line to flow very smoothly without getting caught. The high-strength graphite reel seat is ergonomic and very secure even during hard fighting. The EVA handles are comfortable to use even for long periods and help to combat blisters. The whole set-up feels very durable, and smooth throughout the entire fishing experiences even when casting or fighting fish.
The rod can stand up to a variety of weather conditions including wind and casting is smooth and accurate regardless. The rod is capable of guiding both light and heavy lures to the exact position to need them to fall and the fast action tip is very sensitive which makes setting the hook easier with a high success rate.
The rod has more than enough backbone to haul fish in even in heavy vegetation or obstacles and the whole set up is very versatile. If you’re interested in pursuing trout, bass, or catfish than this is a nice affordable set-up that could be suitable for a wide range of techniques and locations.
- High-quality materials and construction
- Precise and accurate casting
- Powerful backbone
- High value including two-tips for the price of one
- Very comfortable to use
- Doesn’t include a portable case
- AMAZING QUALITY CARBON FIBER BLANK - All Perigee II two-piece fishing rods are constructed with Toray 24-ton carbon matrix KastFlex blank technology for power, strength, and accuracy. Available in 29 sizes from an ultra light spinning fishing rod to a heavy 7’ spinning rod and a baitcaster rod ranging from medium to heavy power. Use them for bass fishing rods, trout fishing, walleye fishing, or as a salmon rod, catfish rod, steelhead rod, or saltwater fishing rod.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS - KastKing uses the best quality components in a Perigee II fishing rod. World renowned Fuji O-Ring line guides, tuned ergonomic graphite high-strength reel seats, high-density EVA grips, Saf-T Keeper hooker holder, the finest sensitive “bare and beautiful” finish carbon fiber for light weight rod blanks, and outstanding cosmetics. Rod action ranges from baitcasting rods that are fast action rods to spinning rods that cover moderate, moderate fast, and fast action rods.
- SMOOTH POWER - KastKing PTS (Power Transition System) hybrid spigot joints in Perigee II 2-pcs rods transition power smoothly throughout your fishing rod blank. Specialized high technology computer control wrapping at four angles (0⁰, 45⁰, 90⁰, 135⁰) keeps the power flowing. Whether you choose an amazing and affordable Perigee II casting fishing rod as a bass rod or a KastKing spinning rod as a walleye rod, or for any species, you will agree it feels exactly like a one-piece fishing rod!
- STEP UP - Throw away your old technology ugly fishing pole and step into the future of fishing with a dynamic KastKing Perigee II high performance casting rod or spinning fishing poles for bass fishing, trout fishing, cat fishing, walleye fishing or any technique for freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing for red fish, striped bass, snook and more! Total Peace of Mind Warranty. KastKing is an ICAST award winning manufacturer.
- BEST VALUE –KastKing Perigee II graphite fishing poles are one of the best value rods in the fishing tackle market! Don’t be confused by the low price. Even better, these are simply one of the lightest rods you'll find under $100. You'll fish all day without fatigue and have power to spare because of our high carbon blanks that offer a powerful, yet light weight rod.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced angler you’ve probably heard of Ugly Stik, they are well known for the strength and durability of their rods which combined their quality and comfort to make them some of the best rods on the market.
Anglers love how light and well-balanced Ugly Stik rods are, plus they look incredible and are always at an accessible price. This graphite and fiberglass composite rod are no different and if you’re looking for something that can perform at the same level as rods that cost a lot more and is incredibly durable. The one-piece guides on this rod are stainless-steel and incredibly durable without impacting on the smooth running of the line.
As these rods rarely break you won’t have to replace it very often and when you have a rod that you can trust you’ll find that you relax both on and off the water. As this rod is made from a combo of graphite and fiberglass makes this a very well-balanced rod that is very strong but also sensitive enough to let you feel even the smallest of bites.
The clear-tip design on this rod is very sensitive and strong, which gives the rod the ability to go toe-to-toe with the larger fish and lets you feel even very small bites to make the adjustments needed for success. The whole rod is designed to be well-balanced, and the EVA handles contribute to the overall ease of use for this rod, as it is easy to find a comfortable, sturdy grip is a variety of different conditions. This is a great set-up is you’re looking for something very comfortable to use for hours without getting tired.
If you’re looking for a rod that’s going to give a smooth and reliable performance consistently than you’ll love this rod no matter what your level. This rod can be used with any type of fishing line, and its versatility is one of the best features of this rod. It has more than enough backbone and strength to handle medium or even heavy fish without coming near breaking.
The rod has an incredible amount of sensitivity which allows you to feel a great range of different bites easily and overall it is just a great looking rod that performs well.
- Looks great
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Comfortable EVA handles that give a lot of control
- Pretty much indestructible- a great investment in terms of durability
- Good for a range of skill levels
- There are lighter rods out there but it doesn’t affect the comfort of this rod at all
If you like to stand out from the crowd than you’ll love this rod’s unique look, and luckily it stands up to the sum of its parts on the water too. This is a very affordable option that offers excellent responsiveness and success levels. It also comes with two different powered tips which make this a great value option as well. It also makes this a pretty versatile option that offers a comfortable and enjoyable fishing experience regardless of experience.
This 24 Ton carbon fiber rod is very strong and effective while remaining lightweight and very sensitive. The structurally enhanced blank maximizes the strength and sensitivity of the rod without making it heavier, and it’s clear that a great deal of time and effort has gone into the design and construction of this option.
The reel seat is corrosion resistant with aluminum hoods and design which maximizes the sensitivity which helps you detect even light bites. The reel seat is very secure and once you’ve locked your reel down it will stay in position even during heavy fighting. The guides on this option are also corrosion resistant and offer excellent casting and a smooth-running line that’s nearly friction-free.
This fast action rod casts very well and feels comfortable and sensitive to use. From the medium-heavy option upwards the rod has more than enough backbone to let you pursue some big fish, while the excellent sensitivity means that you’ll set nearly every hook you try. The split-grip EVA handles and a great deal of durability to the rod and helps relieve some of the tension on your wrists so you don’t find yourself aching after a long time on the water.
The 2 pcs construction makes it a good deal more portable, and the different tips have various different power ratings so you can personalize your rod to your needs. The large handle on this rod makes it easy and comfortable to use with a great deal of control, and overall, this is a great option for anglers looking for a long rod that’s not going to break the bank.
- 2 pcs construction for added portability
- Added value with the alternative different powered tip
- Comfortable high-density handle
- Well-constructed and durable
- Comes with its carry case
- The action might be a little slower than expected
- Unique and Professional Design - It comes with 2 tips. You can get two different power rod tips, medium and medium heavy. It's like getting 2 rods in 1. The 2 different tips makes it easy to adjust to your casting weight. It is very versatile. Great for carrying one rod instead of two and unless you break the base section, you have a spare tip should you break one of them. Good value for the money, nice to have additional tips for different fishing action and replacement
- 24 Ton Carbon Fiber - Light weight with tremendous overall strength; strong and structurally enhanced solid carbon fiber construction, maximizes strength while maintaining sensitivity
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat - Enhanced reel seat with corrosion resistant aluminum hoods; Full-Contact Reel Seat with Soft Touch finish
- “K-R” and “FINESSE” Guide Series - 6+1 corrosion resistant guides, perfectly spaced for virtually friction-free line flow and maximum casting performance and sensitivity, adopt “K-R” and “FINESSE” guide series
- High Density EVA Handles - High density EVA gives greater sensitivity and durability, add to your control and fishing comfort; Special design on handle, more comfortable, which allow you to spent long days on the water with minimum fatigue
If you’re looking for a high-performance rod you can use in tournaments than this might be just what you’re looking for. Daiwa makes great quality rods, and this versatile model is no exception to that rule. The rod is lightweight and strong, but with excellent sensitivity that gives a repeated, reliable performance again and again.
While the rod maybe a little bit of an investment, its performance is so high that the rod gives a lot of bang for its buck so you’re sure to quickly get your money’s worth. This rod has been made with Super Volume Fiber (SVF) graphite technology that’s exclusive to Daiwa which combined with a and micro pitch finish makes this rod strong, with enough power to land larger fish.
The rod is highly sensitive and will let you feel a wide range of bites, and the inclusion of Fuji alconite ring guides and a secure custom reel seat add to this option’s overall dependability and sturdiness. This lightweight rod doesn’t sacrifice durability for capability though, and this rod has more than enough backbone to haul in the fish.
The rod casts well and when paired with a lightweight baitcasting reel can cat very small lures accurately over long distances. The rod is comfortable to use and suitable for a range of freshwater fishing techniques. The handles are made with EVA foam and offers a smooth performance and plenty of control, whilst also reducing stress and blisters in the hands.
- Perfect for tournaments
- Excellent performance
- Casts well with superior action
- Very lightweight
- Comfortable to use
- The handle is a little bit heavier than it needs to be
- Daiwa's exclusive SVF (Super Volume Fiber) graphite technology
- Bias graphite fiber construction for flexibility, strength and virtually zero blank twist
- Micro pitch blank finish
- Daiwa custom reel seat and machined aluminum reel clamp nut
- Fuji alconite ring guides
If you’re looking for a great all-rounder that offers high-quality construction and performance than this option might be just right for you. This rod with medium lengths and power is essentially everything you need in a baitcaster rod, and it’s great value for the quality.
This rod will work well in both fresh and saltwater and it’s a great option for beginners looking for a rod that’s going to help them master the basics, though more experienced anglers will find it a lot of fun to use and it might make a great back-up pole. This graphite and fiberglass composite rod are very well balanced which retains its sensitivity despite its strength.
The rod is lightweight, and the EVA foam handle gives you a sturdy and comfortable grip that’s easy to maintain even during fights. The handle also helps to offer you excellent control and flexibility while fishing and helps stop you from getting tired even in tough long fights. In the medium or heavy options, this rod has more than enough backbone and power to go after the big fish even with heavy cover, while the stainless-steel guides with Zirconium inserts help the line to flow smoothly and easily.
Due to the graphite construction, this rod is more than sensitive enough to let you set hooks easily and feel the slightest nibble. This rod is an excellent investment for beginners, but it’s not going to be a tragedy if you decide baitcasting isn’t for you.
- Excellent balance of power and sensitivity
- Durable and strong
- Versatile with medium length and power
- Great for beginners
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Serious anglers will probably like this one only as a backup rod
- Versatile - If you're just starting out and want a good all around type rod, Medium Heavy and Medium baitcasting rod is the best choice
- More Durable - Two piece baitcasting rod design is crafted with a composite of graphite and fiberglass, creating a well-balanced yet powerful rod that is virtually unbreakable
- Sensitive - Tip design for extra strength and added sensitivity allows you to detect even the faintest nibbles, you can perfectly time your hook set and improve your catch rates
- Lightweight - The lightweight casting fishing rod design feels balanced in your hand, helps improve your range of movement and keeping fatigue to a minimum. EVA grip offers the firm, comfortable handhold you need to overcome hard-fighting fish
- High-quality Guide - Stainless steel guides with Zirconium inserts that eliminate insert pop-outs and keep line slippage to a minimum, can be used with all types of line, including braid fishing line
Best Baitcasting Rod Buying Guide
This guide hopefully will have given you a lot to think about and hopefully, you now feel a bit more in the know about the kind of options that are out there. If you want a bit more information before deciding than don’t worry the next section is just for you. We’re going to take you through some of the features to look out for to make sure that you get the rod that’s most suited to you and your needs.
A rod’s action tells you where it bends when under load and how quickly it recovers when you take the load away. The options for a rod’s action are extra fast, fast, medium, and slow action and what action your rod determines how well it will do at casting and fighting fish. Extra fast action rods will only bend at the tip and are extremely stiff, whilst fast action rods bend in the top third of the rod and are a little more flexible.
These types of rods are very sensitive and set hooks hard and fast so they’re not the best for the more delicate fish with soft mouths. They have a lot of power at the tips which makes them excellent at long distance casting though they can be hard to master. If you’re a beginner than a moderate action is best as they are the most versatile and easiest to pick up. For slower and more gentle casts you’re going to want a slow action rod that lacks sensitivity but is the best for using with live bait.
You can get rods that are ultra-light, light, medium light, medium, medium-heavy, and heavy power and this describes how strong your casting rod is and what they are capable of lifting without breaking. The heavier the fish you want the heavier power your rod needs to be to give you enough backbone to bring in large fish and throw heavier lures.
A good baitcaster rod needs to be able to throw heavier lures to catch bigger fish, so you don’t want to be looking at anything less than a medium if you don’t want to risk damaging your rod.
Best Baitcasting Rod FAQ's
What are Baitcasters used for?
Baitcaster rods are as the name suggests ideal for casting bait, they’re popular because they increase your casting distance and give you more control over your hook and line.
Are baitcasters only used for bass?
A lot of bass anglers only use baitcaster rods but they can be used for a variety of different species including catfish and pike.