Bass is always a popular fish for an angler to go after but catching them can be a bit of a headache. There are so many different lures and methods to try that working out the one that gives you the most success and that suits your fishing style can be very difficult.
With so many sorts of lures available it can be hard to choose between worms, jigs, crankbaits, and topwater lures especially when making the wrong choice can mean the difference between a successful fishing trip and going away emptyhanded.
Luckily this handy guide is here to take away all the hassle of finding the best lure for you because we’ve put together this list of some of the best lures currently available for bass, as well as a buyers guide to take you through some of the most important features to consider when you’re in the market for a bass lure.
We’ve even answered some of your questions to help you be the best prepared you can be when you go up against the bass!
Top 5 Best Lures for Bass
OUR TOP PICK
First up we have a frog lure from RUNCL which delivers consistently and is perfect for those who want to go after bigger game. If you want to go after the larger fish than you need a bigger bait and this pack of five might be just what you need.
Not only does buying in bulk means that you always have a lure ready to go even if one gets damaged or lost, but this option is also superbly detailed with realistic features like 3D eyes and most importantly it mimics the swimming action of real frogs and bullfrogs to put on an excellent show for the bass. Getting bass to bite can be difficult and this realistic option has an immense amount of body detail so you can give fooling them a good go.
The frog lures are pretty durable thanks to the PVC construction which is also environmentally friendly which has become a rising issue among anglers. The PVC is also soft and helps get a better hookset on anything that might bite. This option comes in a range of colors which allows you to personalize your lure for the location and weather conditions you’re facing to give yourself the biggest chance of success.
These are a handy option to have in your arsenal and they’re excellent at drawing out a range of the larger fish so they’re pretty versatile and useful to have around.
- Comes in a range of different color options
- Very realistic and lifelike
- Excellent body detail and features like 3D eyes
- Comes in a pack of five
- Perfect for larger fish
- There is a plastic smell when you unbox them, but a couple of washes sorts this out
- Lifelike Design: High-resolution body detail, life-like 3D eyes and almost real swimming actions, flawlessly replicates an actual frog or bullfrog, help anglers attract a bigger catch
- Excellent PVC: The frog lures are produced with environmentally friendly PVC with amazing deliciousness, imitates the taste of an actual frog, hinders the fishing hook from getting spitted
- Perfect Angle Sitting: The core of gravity for RUNCL frog lures are constantly checked to ensure best angle sitting inside the water, helps with the success of hook up
- Weedless Design: With hooks embedded into the belly of the frogs, helps to expose the hooks better when the fish strikes, and no concern whatsoever about hanging up by lily pads or weed beds
- Special Combination: The completely unique fishing tackle box in the marketplace is equipped with 5 different types of frog lures, perfect for all sorts of complicated fishing conditions
Another set of frog lures, these hollow frogs sit on the water and lie in wait for a passing bass to catch sight of them and think they’ve landed on something tasty. This incredibly versatile lure is slightly smaller than other options to make them the perfect option for smaller bass.
You can use them in a wide range of locations including open water or places with a lot of vegetation. Some lures can’t be used in heavily weeded situations without getting tangled and caught which can damage the lure or even your rod, this option doesn’t have this issue due to the sleek body and the innovative position of the hooks.
These are a great option for those looking for an affordable, quality lure and it evens comes in a multi-pack! One of the problems with using frog lures, especially hollow ones, is that they tend to sink which isn’t very realistic to both you and the bass. This option doesn’t have this problem, and when you do get a bite the hooks offer an excellent strong set that makes it easy to pull your catch out of the water.
The lures come in a wide range of colors which give you a little bit of choice depending on your situation, and they’re a great option for a novice looking to build their lure collection without needing to spend a fortune.
- Suitable for a range of environments including thick vegetation
- Don’t fill up with water and sink like other options
- Comes in a range of colors to give you some options
- Heavy-duty hooks easily snare the fish for efficient hauling in
- Realistic body and movement
- Not the most realistic leg design
If you’re a beginner then you may not have heard about Rose Kuli before, but they’re a brand with a reputation among anglers for making top quality fishing products, and this realistic crankbait fits right in among the other items in their roster.
With features like hyper-realistic 3D eyes, this multi-jointed option is very realistic and excellent at fooling bass into taking a nibble. This lure comes in a wide range of different painted colors so you can pick the lure that best suits your regular fishing spot and its proven track record makes it a very dependable option for when the fish just aren’t biting. The multi-jointed body means that it moves through the water like a real fish and is very flexible which reduces the amount of accidental damage that may happen when you cast.
The lure can also be connected to textile fabrics and includes a gravity ball which makes the lure vibrate and produce a rattling noise to attract the fish. You can use this lure again and again and it’ll consistently perform and catch you some great sized options. One of the reasons why this model is so effective is because of the sharp dual hooks that keep the fish trapped and well hooked so you can pull them out of the water easily.
These lures are very well constructed and durable enough to last for a good few years, they’re another good option to have in your backpack ready to go when you need them and they’re a very effective option to have around.
- Convincing realistic design
- Sharp dual hooks to help you land your catch
- Realistic swimming action
- Well-constructed and durable
- Effective for small and medium fish and suitable for a range of fishing techniques
- Be warned that if you use this lure for the larger fish there is a risk the hook will bend out of shape
- TOPWATER BASS LURES - 3D realistic looking eyes and body make it a life like fish. Larger tongue design make it float at top water when throw into water.
- MULTI JOINTED BODY - The body pieces connect with textile fabrics allows this bass lures wiggles to side to side like a real fish would swim.
- ARTIFICIAL SOLID SWIMBAIT - Reusable environment protective largemouth crankbaits. Different colors and patterns to match any fishing environment.
- BUILT-IN GRAVITY BALL - Raise the throw distance, produce sound attracts the big predators. Streamlined Design reduces wind resistance during throwing.
- MUST HAVE FISH TACKLE - Wonderful gift for fisherman, widely targeting fishes like bass, pike, largemouth, smallmouth, walleyes, muskie, etc.
Next up we have a brilliant option for more experienced anglers who like to reel in slowly. This spinnerbait can’t be reeled in too fast as otherwise, it might break the surface of the water so it might not be the best option for beginners, but seasoned anglers will find a lot to like in this hard spinner that’s perfect for landing the bigger bass.
This option comes in a pack of 5 in a range of colors so you’ll have the right bait for the particular day you go fishing. This model includes high carbon steel razor treble hooks which are perfect at catching the large fish and holding them while you haul them in. These are very realistic looking baits with 3D eyes and skirts that help them to look like real baitfish under the water to help you fool the bass for long enough so that they’ll take a bite.
The bait has blades that spin like a propeller when it’s moving which helps lure the bass in with vibration and flashes that trigger their natural fight instinct. These aren’t the best baits to use in saltwater as they rust quite easily but the price is so good that they’re an excellent addition to any tackle box and easy to replace if you lose some in vegetation or they get damaged.
One of the reasons why this model is so popular among anglers is that they have a pretty amazing casting distance, which anglers love because it gives them a wider radius to hunt for bass in. Each lure has an 18-gram weight and they’re versatile enough for you to go after pike too if that’s something you’d be interested in.
These lures are durable enough to last you a long time before they need to be replaced provided you don’t lose or damage them, and they’re a good option for those anglers that like to experiment thanks to them coming in a multipack. These lures help provide a relaxing fishing experience where you’re certain to catch some fish!
- Durable and well-constructed
- Realistic and colorful to attract the fish
- Comes in a multipack with a variety of colors
- Great for seasoned anglers who like to reel in slowly or anglers who like to experiment with their technique
- Versatile and can be used for pike too
- Probably couldn’t compete with some of the more expensive options, but can’t be beaten for the price
- Each Spinnerbait Weight:17.5g/0.62oz.Length:3.15"-4.72"Diving Depth: Whole swimming layer.
- Comes with a high Carbon Steel Razor Sharp Treble Hooks(4#),Great for Bass, Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Salmon.
- Most anglers retrieve spinnerbaits shallow, these lures can be very effective when crawled across the bottom, and fished in a slow , deep, lift and drop manner
- The Spinners Fishing Lure, Premium quality blade provides continuous flash and vibration. Are designed for bass fishing and trout fishing, named bass lures and trout lures as well
- Package include:6pcs spinnerbaits in different colors;Fisherman gifts for men;spinner baits for bass fishing;large mouth bass lures
Finally, we have this option from Yongzhi that’s very versatile and an excellent option when going after a range of fish including walleye and trout. This option is suitable for a wide range of different locations, depths, and can be used in both fresh and saltwater.
They’ve been designed to perfectly blend into the water so that the bass think that they’ve stumbled onto some easy prey. The stellar swimming action of this model while under the water is partially due to its ribbed and tapered body design which helps disguise the lure in the water and helps it to swim like a real baitfish.
The tapered body helps to disguise and protect the hook until it’s needed, while the ribbed design helps to make it’s shape seem more natural to better trick the fish. This model comes in a range of different colors and weights so you can pick the lure that will perform the best for you. They’re a great option for beginners who want lures to practice their technique with, or weekend anglers looking for something that’ll help them consistently land fish.
- Lifelike swimming action
- Suitable for a range of fish
- Can be used in different depths and environments
- Well designed
- Slightly on the small side
- 5 great colors paddle tail fishing lures set with weighted fishing hooks can meet you fishing bass,trout,walleye in clear water and dirty water.
- These soft fishing lures can be fished on a weighted swimbait hook, a-rig or spinner bait, Jig head or worm fishing hooks, wide gap hook.
- These fishing worms can be fished deep or shallow,through grass or wood,skipped under docks,or on an umbrella rig.
- The tapered design ribbed body distorts the shape to a more natural appearance.Proven and Remarkable swimming action,Swims perfectly at any speed.The ribbed body design provides protection for the hook point and ensures solid hook ups.
- These fishing lures set is sepicial for new anglers,and the lures and hooks put in the plastic box,it is easy to carry in your pack
Best Lures for Bass Buying Guide
Hopefully, you’ll now have more of an idea about the kind of bass sure you might want, and the sort of option that will suit your style and help you land some great sized bass. If you’re still feeling a little confused or overwhelmed then don’t worry. This next section is going to take you through some of the factors to consider when buying your bass lure.
The most important thing to remember is you need to find something that will suit you and your style, there’s no point making a snap decision because what you end up with might not be what you need and you’ll have to keep looking. Going in with an idea about what might suit you is important, so keep in mind your regular fishing spot, the sort of weather conditions you’re likely to see, and what sort of technique you prefer to use.
The other thing to consider before you start looking is what sort of prey the bass you want normally goes after, thinking about what the bass will see when it spots your lure is a good way to improve your success rate.
It might sound a little counter-intuitive if you want to catch big bass, but keeping you lure small is a good way to attract bass to take a bite. The larger your lure the easier it is for the bass to spot that your lure isn’t the real deal and it won’t want to have a nibble.
Smaller lures fool bass easier and attract more of them, especially in clear water where they can see the lure better. It can be a fine line between finding a visible lure and will attract attention and going too big and scaring the bass away.
You’ve probably seen bass in the water, and you might have noticed that the bass comes in different color contrasts. This is something that bass use to find their prey, and it’s a useful tool when you want to catch them. If your lure has the same contrast as the natural prey of your bass than you’ll find it easier to attract and catch them. This is a good example of why checking out the kind of bass you want to catch can help you land some whoppers.
Some baits have features that make noise or vibrate as they move through the water to attract the fish and if you decide to go for one of these options then you should make sure that noise sounds natural in the bass’ environment. If it sounds wrong then you won’t get the bites and the fish will stay away. Baits that have clicking noises are a good option because they sound like crawfish which bass tend to go after in the early months of the year and they tend to have a much higher chance of being nibbled than lures that make high-pitched or artificial sounds
What bass eat can vary from season to season, so the color lure you’re using needs to change too depending on when you’re fishing. Peach-colored lures are best in the early months of years because they mimic the crawfish which is what bass normally eats in this period. If you’re fishing in the summer or fall though than silver-colored baits are most effective because the bass is feeding on shad. Keeping an eye on when your fishing can really help you land a lot of fish, which is why it’s useful to have a range of colors in your arsenal.
Do I need a specialized bass lure?
Everyone’s had a day when the fish just aren’t biting and using a bass lure is one way to try and make sure these days are few and far between. Using a specific bass lure increases your chances of catching a bass because it’s designed to attract them. There’s a wide range of lures available if you want to fish bass so you’re sure to find something that’ll entice the bass right onto your hook.
Are lures reusable?
Simply put: yes. As long as you pick something that’s made with high-quality materials and you make sure that you check it for damage before using it than some lures can last for years without needing to be replaced. Taking the time to find something that’s right for you can increase the lifespan of your lures, and as long as you take care of them your favorite lure can last forever.