Without a doubt, the fishing industry has been flourishing, providing different types of equipment. Amongst them, fishing reels are one of the essential pieces of gear. However, amongst reels too, there are two types of reels.
The first type is the amateur’s haven and a novelty more than a utility, the spinning reel.
The second type is for experienced anglers. The second type, the baitcasting reels, is the reels of choice of anglers who find fishing to be their passion or livelihood.
The baitcasting reels are complicated little reels that are much smaller and much faster than their spinning counterparts. The baitcasting reels may be smaller than their spinning counterparts, but they pack much more power and much more drag than spinning reels twice their size.
This is what makes anglers choose baitcasting reels as they are smaller, more durable, and lighter. They are also suitable for distance casting and all-day casting as with such light weights and yet sophisticated machinery, baitcasting reels are the best options for you if you are a hardcore angler.
However, the major con of buying baitcasters is that they are costly and complicated to assemble. However, we’ve found just the five perfect baitcasters which are available for under 100 dollars.
Top 5 Best Baitcasting Reels Under $100
OUR TOP PICK
Are you one of the anglers that are looking for a reel that satisfies every aspect of angling? Are you one of those anglers who settle for the middle? Then we’ve got the perfect find for you.
The Abu Garcia Revo X Low Profile Baitcasting Fishing Reel is an all-round proficient and efficient product available on the market. It is perfectly durable, has ergonomic features, and packs enough drag.
It also comes packed with enough drag and speed to catch even the big baits.
Its premium feature is its build. The mainframe is made of the X-2 craftic alloy frame. Its handle is made of brass and is contoured to prevent slipping or injury to the user.
The frame is also corrosion-resistant, making it perfect for use in fishing without the need for frequent maintenance.
The product comes with a gear ratio of 6.6:1, that is, the spool in the reel takes 6.6 turns for every turn that the reel handle completes. This denotes that the reel is a highly agile one, for higher the gear ratio, higher is the speed of retrieval.
This speed of recovery is easy for small and agile fish that possess the ability to get off the hook as quickly as they get on.
Another feature that might tempt semi-professional anglers who like control over the reel but also want the reel to step in at some places is its braking systems. This baitcaster comes equipped with a centrifugal braking system along with the magnetic braking technique, making braking as easy as it could get.
- Packs a maximum drag of 24 pounds, thus helps to subdue large fish.
- Ergonomic and easy-to-use design.
- The magnetic braking system makes braking effortless.
- Its mainframe is made of a water-resistant alloy.
- The high gear-ratio makes this reel inefficient for big game fish that are fast as well.
- Carbon matrix Hybrid drag System for Super smooth reliable drag performance
- Duragear brass gear for extended gear life
- D2 gear design provides a more efficient gear System while improving gear durability
Are you one of those anglers who’s just encountered the massive scene of baitcasting reels and professional angling? Have you just begun trying your hand at the more advanced methods of fishing? Are you one of those anglers who’s not ready to shell out a lot of money just yet?
Then the Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile Baitcasting Profile Reel is a perfect pick for you. This specific reel is more than its value-for-money as even with such affordable pricing, this product performs just enough to give pricier reels a run for their money.
This reel has a one-piece graphite frame along with metallic side plates. However, even after it is made of graphite, this product is extremely sturdy and durable. Hence it’s good enough for all-day casting out there by the waters.
Its handles are firm and yet flexible enough to be used even after usage with slimy or wet hands. Its five ball-bearings make it smooth for use. It’s not the sleekest there is, but it’s relatively decent when it comes to smoothness in operations.
It has a gear ratio of 6.4:1, which again, makes it an agile and fast-paced reel. This speed is good enough to bait fishes, which are very small and agile. Its power drag system packs enough drag for mid-sized fish and with luck, even large fishes.
All-in-all, this reel deserves much more than what it’s priced at.
- The pricing of this reel is unbelievably low.
- The graphite frame makes it lightweight.
- Its firm handles make gripping with wet hands possible.
- In its quests for low pricing, it loses out on crucial add-ons. The Graphite structure may suffer damage after regular wear and tear.
- Lightweight design with one piece graphite frame and side plates
- 4 stainless steel ball bearings
- Power disk system
- MagTrax brake system boosts range and accuracy of casts
- Compact bent handle and recessed reel provide an ergonomic grip
Are you someone who’s never really done angling before? Or are you someone who has just graduated to the more complicated baitcasters? Then this reel is the perfect option for a rookie adventure.
Well, the KastKing Royale Legend is just the ideal choice for amateur anglers looking to net big game fishes like muskies and pikes. For amateurs, the single most crucial feature is that of the centrifugal braking system and the state-of-the-art magnetically enhanced intuitive system.
This makes the reel perfect for novices as it prevents rookie-mistakes like backlashes and casting further or more profound than required.
However, it is equally useful for experienced anglers as well. The anodized aluminum spool and the impressive all-metal body makes this product extremely sturdy and durable. It also possesses a gear ratio of 7:1. This gear ratio makes the reel stunningly quick and agile for fast-paced fishes.
The ball bearings of the insides of the KastKing Royal Legend are shielded twice by the trademark MaxiDur technology of KastKing. This ensures zero seepage and hence prevents corrosion of the inner gear of the reel.
Moreover, the reel also packs a maximum drag force of 17.5 pounds which is sufficient to net midsized and even larger fishes.
- The automatic braking system makes it a good pick for amateurs.
- The gear ratio of 7:1 denotes its high speed of retrieval.
- The shielded ball bearings prevent crankiness and soreness in the usage of the reel.
- The magnetic braking system does not allow full control over the reel.
- PERFORMANCE – low profile design bait caster with low speed 5.3:1 gear ratio precision brass gearing for more torque and cranking performance.
- PROVEN ENDURANCE - 11 + 1 shielded MaxiDur corrosion resistant ball bearings for super smooth casting, retrieve, and long life.
- UNMATCHED – Four disc carbon fiber drag system delivering 17.5 LBs of drag offers the ultimate in a high performance low maintenance casting reel package.
- TOURNAMENT GRADE - The new KastKing WhiteMax bait caster fishing reels have state of the art dual brakes with a quick, easy to fine-tune reliable centrifugal brake and a seven magnet magnetic brake system for ultimate casting control.
- DYNAMIC - Brilliant anodized aluminum forged multi-ported whiffle-style spool offers maximum strength while reducing weight. Increased line capacity (mm/m, LB/Yds0 - 0.3mm/110 m; 12LB/165 YD.
Do you like angling in the warm waters and the chilled winter waters? Or are you someone who likes ice-fishing?
Then, the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning reels are the perfect picks for you. As all-weather reels, these reels are built and designed in such a way that they can withstand summer, winter, and even cold conditions.
The unique feature of this reel is that it is made of graphite. Metallic reinforcements are only put where they are required. These innovations allow flexibility and easy portability. It also makes the reel light in weight.
However, its attractive graphite body is not to be mistaken as to its weakness. This product packs torque and a drag force or around 17 pounds. Its hardened metallic shafts and ball bearings make it strong enough on vicious fishes like the musky and the pike.
If that’s not enough, the reel has nine ball-bearings allowing ergonomic movement and smooth retrieval. It has a gear ratio of 5.2:1, which strikes a perfect balance between the speed of retrieval and the capacity of the reel.
- It is ideal for all-weather use.
- Its graphite build makes its lightweight
- A perfect balance between power and smoothness.
- The graphite build makes the reel brittle over time.
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on price. KastKing Summer/Centron offers the best value...at any level. The KastKing Summer Fishing Reel turns any angler into a PRO.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and computer balancing system combine high performance in a compact Spinning Reel. KastKing Summer/Centron makes an awesome gift for anybody who loves fishing, the 500 size reels match perfectly ice rods and make a perfect ice combo.
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible stopping power up to 17.5LBs. It has a hardened metal main shaft, perfect mesh drive gear and precision machined pinion gear for fish fighting power.
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing give it ultra-smooth performance.
- DURABLE/ATTRACTIVE FINISH - Summer/Centron's attractive, brilliant finish and its high strength two color anodized aluminum spool, with a power launch lip for longer casts and holds more line than competitor's models that sell for much more.
Are you one of those anglers who find the complicated process of assembling and maintaining your baitcasters as boring and tedious?
Well, the Piscifun Torrent Baitcast Fishing Reels is one of those reels which require minimal maintenance and tending. And the times when it needs maintenance, it couldn’t get more comfortable. The side plates and the oil plates come off quickly.
What’s more is that it is value for money and proves to be an excellent budget-buy, perhaps as good as, if not better than some of the more expensive ones.
The product has a light graphite-made build, and yet it packs enough drag. It has a pull and torque force of about 18 pounds. This is enough to net fishes as large as the pike.
Its gears are reinforced with metal twice to ensure durability and stability. The bearing system of 5+1 ball bearings is shielded and coated. This ensures smooth crank-free rotation of the handle and the spool.
The reel has a gear ratio of 7.1:1. This denotes that the reel will perform exceptionally well in speedy retrievals once the fish has taken the bait and gotten itself hooked.
- Considering the features, it’s priced unbelievably low.
- The ball bearing and the gears are shielded to allow smooth flow.
- Maintenance, oiling, and assembling are straightforward.
- The graphite build and high-speed retrievals may cause wear and tear.
- POWERFUL- Advanced, 4-washer, gives the low profile baitcasting reel physically powerful 18LB carbon fiber drag to handle the big fish you are after
- DURABLE - Industrial durable-strength, climate-resistant Japanese Hami cut 3604 brass gears, these are all top quality gears you expect for baitcaster fishing reels
- PERFORMANCE - Low profile design bait caster featuring 5.3:1 gear ratios specifically designed for the versatile angler. The 5.3:1 Gear Ratio is a true workhorse offering the torque you need for any deadly slow rolling technique
- UNIQUE - Unique side-plate oil port for prolonged maintenance for Novice to Pro to maximize your baitcast reel life and performance
- UNPARALLELED - Strong double wind shafts and backlash-eliminating 0-10 magnetic dial-in settings
Best Baitcasting Reels Under $100 Buying Guide
Baitcasting reels are complicated little pieces of fishing gear. Its counterparts, the spinning reels are much easier to use and are the first choice for many amateur anglers. The can also be cheaper too - Spinning Reels Under $50.
However, semi-pro and pro anglers prefer baitcasting reels to spin reels. This is because baitcasting reels are incredibly light and yet sturdy. A baitcasting reel would weigh probably half the weight and size of a spinning reel and still pack the same power and torque and speed if not more.
On the other hand, there are many different pros of using baitcasters as well. That is, they are very efficacious for long-distance casting. Its lightweight also allows all-day casting.
Find all the features that an ideal reel should possess.
The gear ratio of a baitcasting reel is an important start that every prospective buyer needs to look for while looking to buy baitcasting reels. It is one stat that even the most experienced anglers tend to ignore.
So basically, the gear ratio is the ratio that denotes the number of turns the spools will take for every singular spin the handle of the reel will take. So for example, if the gear ratio is 6:1, then for every time you rotate the handle, the spool would take six turns respectively.
Higher the gear ratio, the higher will be the speed but lower will be the torque of the reel and vice versa.
So as a result, if you are looking to net smaller and faster fish, a reel with higher gear ratios is preferable. On the other hand, for larger, more substantial fish, a reel with lower gear ratios are preferred.
One of the biggest perks of using a baitcasting reel is an effective and sophisticated braking system. Many experienced anglers switch to baitcasting reels because of the issue of backlash that they face in spinning reels.
Backlash is basically when you cast further than you wanted to and then forgot to stop the line with your thumbs. This gets the line tangled in the spool. This tangling can potentially completely spoil your fishing trip.
That is why you should look for manual braking systems to prevent this issue. Some reels also come with magnetic braking systems which automatically stop the spool from spilling beyond a certain extent to avoid backlash.
Right or Left-handedness
This is one factor that doesn’t affect spinning reels as they are adjustable, but it affects baitcasting reels. This is because the handle side of a baitcasting reel isn’t adjustable
So, prospective buyers should buy reels based on their hand preference.
A right-handed reel is such that the right hand can be used to rotate the handle and vice versa.
The material with which the mainframe and the side plates are also made greatly affects the stability and durability of the reel. An all-metal frame is sturdier, more durable, and corrosion-resistant. However, they might be too heavy for some anglers’ liking.
Graphite reels are highly flexible and lightweight. However, they might get brittle over time. There are some reels that are made of a mix of graphite and metal as well. Before buying a reel, you should decide on the type of reel material that might suit your needs.
A lot of manufactures try to lure inexperienced anglers by marketing the high number of ball bearings in their product as a mark of quality performance. However, it is a myth.
A product can work well with just 4-5 ball bearings. Instead, look for reals with coated or sealed ball bearings to ensure quality performance and smoothness.
Best Baitcasting Reels Under $100 FAQ's
Why should I opt for a baitcasting reel over a spinning reel?
A baitcasting reel is one that is expensive to buy and complicated to assemble. However, it surpasses spinning reels in every area of performance.
Experienced anglers should opt for a baitcasting reel over a spinning reel, and these reels are smaller, more reliable, more stable, and more durable.
Baitcasting reels have essential add-ons like magnetic braking systems and depth counters which spinning reels don’t have. Issues like backlash can be easily prevented in baitcasting reels.
How well does the magnetic braking system work?
Generally, all baitcasting reels come equipped with a manual braking system that can be used to stop the flow of the line quickly as and when required.
However, some reels come equipped with centrifugal and magnetic braking systems that automatically stop the flow to prevent tangling of the line. So if you are an amateur at baitcasting reels, then a reel with a magnetic braking system will be a significant investment.
How important is the drag force of a reel?
Drag force of a reel is the amount of power with which the reel can retrieve a fish once it has taken your bait. Baitcasting reels usually come equipped with enough drag force.
However, if you are content angling for small fishes, then reels with low drag force will prove sufficient. On the other hand, if you are looking to catch big game fishes, then reels with a higher drag force will be required to bait them.
Baitcasting reels are extremely efficacious reels. However, they are unusually complicated to assemble. The majority of the reels are priced unbelievably high. So one should only look at buying these reels once you’ve contemplated well.
We have handpicked some of the best performing baitcasting reels under 100 above and we hope that you will find your favorite one amongst these. If you have any doubt you can also refer to our detailed buying guide before the actual purchase.