If you love to go fishing, especially to haul in big fish, having the wrong gear is a huge mistake. What you need is heavy-duty gear that makes it easier to reel the big catch into your boat and bring it ashore. More fishermen are beginning to develop an interest in the best baitcaster reels for beginners.
This is ideal for fishermen who want to know everything about using heavy lines and lures. There are additional features of beginner baitcasting reels that can improve your experience.
For example, you need something with a durable handle to increase your effectiveness and power in catching large bass fish.
I know how difficult it is for beginners to decide the baitcasting reel that’s best for the level of experience. It could be that you are just getting into the game and are looking to explore baitcasting as a first-timer.
It could also be that you have some experience but want better equipment to improve your efficiency and performance. Whatever your goal is, you’ve come to the right place to look for the best baitcaster reel.
To reduce the challenge of searching endlessly for results, I’ve curated a list that contains 5 of the very best baitcaster reels for rookies. You will also find that I added a buying guide to assist you. All the information you need is packed into this guide and you will get to know more about what to look for in your preferred option.
You may find the perfect reel but one problem that usually creeps up has to do with pricing.
With this buying guide, finding a good baitcasting reel that falls within your budget shouldn't be a problem. I want to help you get back to you fishing fast enough and without delay. To show you that I've got you covered, let's dive straight in.
Top 5 Best Baitcaster Reels For Beginners
OUR TOP PICK
This product comes at a reasonable price without compromising on quality. The Black Max comes high on durability and also has a great design. Compared to other Garcia’s, you'll find that the reason for its relatively lower price is all down to its graphite construction. It will interest you to know that graphite has a high resistance against corrosion.
Due to saltwater baitcasting techniques, having something with a graphite construction promises you more comfort during casting and fishing.
Another aspect of the Abu Garcia Black Max is that it is lightweight. You can enjoy a long day as you row, cast, retrieve, and land fish on the water because the Black Max goes easy on your kayak angler.
Let's also talk about the reason that both beginners and experts can enjoy consistent casting from a small craft. That’s because of the tension knob design that allows you to perform without constant attention.
You will also find that fighting with larger fish feels safer and more exciting even if you do it from a smaller boat. That's because of the nice drag system of the reel.
In all, what you get from the Black Max is versatility and quality which is a trademark of Abu Garcia. You can use this baitcaster in different fishing situations. It also guarantees effectiveness when fishing from kayaks and small boats to find small to medium-sized fish. It also has a magnetic braking system meant to make casting smoother without the problem of line trouble or backlash.
- Resistant to corrosion and lightweight
- Performs well on a kayak or smaller boats
- Lives up to the reputation of its manufacturer
- May not promise long-term durability
- Lightweight design with one piece graphite frame and side plates
- 4 stainless steel ball bearings
- Power Disk system
- MagTrax brake system boosts range and accuracy of casts
- Compact bent handle and recessed reel provide an ergonomic grip
Next on this list is the Whitemax reel that is very versatile as it can perform both in saltwater and freshwater fishing. It comes equipped with an aluminum body and has a carbon fiber drag system, as well as brass gears.
In truth, this product is a testament to the reputation of KastKing as one of the best producers of quality equipment. The best part is you can get its products at affordable prices.
So, if you are on a tight budget but want to get involved in baitcasting, you can try out this reel for anglers. There are lots of satisfied users concerning the performance of this reel. Anglers believe that the benefits far outweigh the costs.
This KastKing possesses a higher gear ratio and a dual braking system to ensure that your casting is as smooth as can be. You will also enjoy fast retrieval.
Don't be surprised to find that the casting prowess of this reel competes with that of more expensive products and it also features a great bearing system. If you don't want to spend too much but want to get your hands involved in saltwater baitcasting, I recommend this as a great choice.
You'll get considerable experience and build the necessary skills you need for baitcasting.
When it comes to surf fishing and inshore techniques, this product is adequate. All you have to do is maintain it properly and you will enjoy it for long.
- Very good product for budget buyers
- You'll enjoy its smooth retrieval
- Zero backlashes, thanks to its effective braking system
- This baitcasting reel needs regular attention to ensure that the tension adjustment is preserved
- GREAT FOR BEGINNERS – The 1st Generation Royal legend baitcasting reel has one of the best dual brake systems with a quick, easy to fine-tune reliable centrifugal and magnetic brake system for superior casting control. If you are new to baitcasters or get frustrated with backlashes, the Royale Legend is the perfect choice.
- BIGGER LINE CAPACITY – Royale Legend I is a bigger baitcasting reel than the 2nd generation. It’s a good fit when you need to have more lines on your reel.
- PERFORMANCE - Low profile design bait caster with a super silent high speed 7.0:1 line retrieve. Two color anodized aluminum forged multi-ported whiffle-style spool offers maximum strength while reducing weight.
- UNMATCHED – Precision cut brass gear structure and carbon fiber drag system delivering 17.5 LBs of drag offer the ultimate in a high performance low maintenance baitcasting reel package.
- PROVEN - 11 + 1 double shielded MaxiDur ball bearings for super smooth casting, retrieve, and long life.
Don't be deceived by what might seem to look like a not so high profile design. Give it up for this baitcasting fishing reel from Piscifun that has all it takes to deliver impressively and make your fishing experience exceptional.
One feature that I admire about this product is its quick speed.
This baitcasting reel makes it possible for you to overcome all fish sizes as you head out for an adventure. Bringing in all types of fish shouldn’t be a problem as it comes with a three washer construction that is quite advanced.
This increases the power of the fishing reel and makes dragging in your catch more effective.
When you go with the New Torrent baitcasting equipment from Piscifun, rest assured that you will enjoy the durability and long product life.
That's because the manufacturer has included a superb side plate oil port build to make it easier to care for and maintain the equipment. This is why you’ll enjoy using the product for long because of the top-quality material construction.
- Superb customer service when problems arise
- The design is quite impressive
- Comes with a lightweight design and casts with ease
- Very smooth fishing reel for baitcasting
- It does not come with an instructional manual
- POWERFUL- Advanced, 4-washer, gives the low profile baitcasting reel physically powerful 18LB carbon fiber drag to handle the big fish you are after
- DURABLE - Industrial durable-strength, climate-resistant Japanese Hami cut 3604 brass gears, these are all top quality gears you expect for baitcaster fishing reels
- PERFORMANCE - Low profile design bait caster featuring 5.3:1 gear ratios specifically designed for the versatile angler. The 5.3:1 Gear Ratio is a true workhorse offering the torque you need for any deadly slow rolling technique
- UNIQUE - Unique side-plate oil port for prolonged maintenance for Novice to Pro to maximize your baitcast reel life and performance
- UNPARALLELED - Strong double wind shafts and backlash-eliminating 0-10 magnetic dial-in settings
Here is yet another bait casting fishing reel from KastKing that comes in a new appearance. It also boasts very premium features that leave me no choice but to recommend it for both saltwater and freshwater conditions. When compared to some lower quality baitcasting reels, one thing that I admire about this product is its superb design that is resistant to water.
Apart from its outstanding body design, I also noticed that it has a graphite rotor which is quite durable. It is also tough and lightweight at the same time, making it possible to drag in or pull out fish of different sizes.
In contrast with many baitcasting reels that can’t boast of good quality, this product is well-designed and has water-resistant properties. That way, both water and dirt do not get in easily to cause damage.
You will love that it is easy, smooth, and quiet. The Sharky III also has smooth retrieval capabilities that make it a favorite amongst customers from different parts of the planet.
Rest assured you’ll get top-notch comfort and that is because of the high-density Eva grips. No need to worry about tangling and snarls because the anti-twist line roller takes care of all that.
- Promises a quiet operation
- It has one of the best designs
- Comes with powerful drag power and works smoothly
- The bearing could be better
- NEXT-GEN - The brand new design KastKing Sharky III spinning reels are built tough to land trophy fish in all fishing conditions. Sharky III are superb lightweight fishing reels built with a high percentage fiber reinforced graphite body and rotor!
- PURE POWER - You will love Sharky III spinning reel's amazing best-in-class up to 39.5LBs / 18KG of smooth, reliable triple disc carbon fiber drag, oversized stainless-steel main shaft, and stronger precision mesh manganese brass pinion gears for more fishing muscle.
- K.I.S.S. - Sharky III spinning reels are sealed with a KISS! Sharky III has a unique protection water resistant design for its spool, body, and rotor - K.I.S.S. (KastKing Intrusion Shield System). It helps keep water and dirt out.
- SUPER SMOOTH - You'll be blown away by the quiet, silky smooth retrieve of the Sharky III. Plus, with the unique Shark Fin Braid Ready aluminum spool, you no longer need to use backing line when spooling on braid fishing line.
- AFFORDABLE INNOVATION - Sharky III spinning reel is loaded with features, including 10 + 1 high quality, saltwater rated double shielded stainless steel ball bearings, instant lock anti-reverse, stainless steel hardware, aluminum handle, and more line capacity than other brands. It is the best all-around spinning reel for every angler.
My final pick on this list is the Pro Max from Abu Garcia, a manufacturer known for creating quality products. When compared to the KastKing reels of lower models, the Pro Max collection is a bit higher in pricing but also comes with slightly better components on the inside.
This doesn't mean the Pro Max baitcasting reel has a very high price point as I still consider it to be fairly low.
The performance is awesome and thanks to its nice return ratio, it promises you very easy casting and retrieval. I also like the magnetic brake that makes it less of a hassle to carry out adjustments. It also comes with an impressive star-level drag system.
When compared to the KastKing Royale Legend, the performance of the Abu Garcia Pro Max seems to be a bit better with fairly similar durability.
Generally speaking, the high adjustability of this baitcasting reel allows you to optimize the settings depending on your needs or fishing location.
But keep in mind that finding your sweet spots might take some time which is normal for many baitcasters. The ABU Garcia Pro Max has non-metal frames and some anglers have experienced the handle breaking fairly early.
Overall, you will get a solid performance and premium value from this baitcasting reel. I recommend this product for beginners and intermediates because you’ll enjoy lots of fun practicing with the equipment.
Figuring out the adjustable settings shouldn't be so much of a hassle and proper maintenance should keep this product around for a considerably long time. This baitcasting reel offers you value for your money.
- Features a Magtrax brake system
- Added durability with its brass gears
- Has a power disk drag system
- 7+1 stainless steel bearings
- The frame feels rather cheap
- One piece graphite frame and graphite site plates
- 7 stainless steel ball bearings + 1 roller bearing
- Power Disk drag system
- Duragear brass gear
- MagTrax brake system
Best Baitcaster Reels For Beginners Buying Guide
So, let's go into the details about the factors to consider before spending your money on a baitcasting reel. Most people say the details can be quite complicated but that's not true. Read the buying guide below to see why I say so –
If fishing heavy stuff is your thing, consider going with a spool that is bigger and deeper. That's because it creates smaller line coils which won’t be hard to manage. But if you’re only thinking about short line applications such as pitching and flipping, you can consider shallow spools.
This factor is important because it lets you know the number of spool turns in a single-handle revolution. You will retrieve more lines for every handle turn if you go with something that has a higher gear ratio. Top-rated baitcasting reels usually come with gear ratios like 7.1:1, 6.4:1, and 5.3:1.
Lower gear ratios happen to perform well for hard-pull fishing baits such as heavy spinnerbaits (slow-rolling), big swimbaits, and deep-diving crankbaits.
With a lower gear ratio, reeling the bait can be done slowly to ensure that it stays in the strike zone for a long time.
Another aspect of these reels is that they give you a higher torque output which makes them ideal if you are looking to flip and move fish from their cover.
On the other hand, an excellent ratio would be the 6.4:1 gear ratio. That’s because you can also use different types of fishing techniques and bait such as shallow cranking, topwater, jigs, and worms. This is in addition to their excellent performance. If you are looking to apply techniques that involved slacking and burning, you want reels with higher gear ratios.
You will notice handle size variations for low profile reels. Yes, it is normal to find shorter handles on some very compact reels.
This shouldn't be a problem if you just want to apply them to activities like jig or worm fishing. However, I don't recommend them for applications involving swimbaits or crankbaits that are big.
You should consider going for a handle that is longer and larger as it gives you more torque should you find your fish in heavy cover.
Bearings & Materials
You'll be better off going for ball bearings made of quality stainless steel or ceramic. It is general knowledge that your casting and retrieval will be smoother if your preferred reel has more bearings.
Go for baitcasting reels that don't weigh too much and that come with a strong build. They should feature materials such as carbon composite, as well as magnesium, or aluminum. The reason is that these materials are stronger and more durable.
Best Baitcaster Reels For Beginners - FAQ's
What is the best baitcasting reel for the money?
- Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile
- KastKing Royale Legend/Whitemax Low Profile
- Piscifun NEW Torrent Baitcasting Reel
- KastKing Sharky III
- Abu Garcia Pro Max Baitcasting Reel
What kind of Baitcaster should I get?
The best line of action would be to buy something multipurpose that falls somewhere around the midpoint pricing. It should also come with a gear ratio that ranges anywhere from 6.2:1-7.0:1.
This makes it easy for your baitcaster reel to work in a wide range of fishing applications while adjusting your retrieval speed with ease.
Should I get a baitcaster?
Nothing beats having a reliable baitcasting reel and rod as soon as you know what it takes to cast. That’s because baitcasters do not exert so much pressure on your arms when you get involved for long periods. It also allows you to quickly flick a lure with just one hand and this helps to save energy.
Why do bass pros use baitcasters?
When it comes to giving room for longer casts and handling heavier lines, baitcasting reels are very effective when compared to spinning gear. The 14-17 pound-test range is usually the preferred choice of bass anglers and a heavier line is preferred by catfish and Muskie anglers.
Is baitcasting better than spinning?
As mentioned earlier, spinning reel gear does not allow for a longer cast when compared with baitcasting reels in a similar size range.
These reels can also put up with heavier lines. Small spinning reels come with narrower spools that seem smaller and give a hard time when it comes to lines of larger diameter. But baitcasting reels that tend to be smaller can still handle such lines and give you more casting distance.
With the help of this guide, I’m sure you now know what to expect when looking to buy the best baitcaster reels for beginners. It’s also possible that you didn't find what you were looking for but don’t lose hope.
With the information contained in this baitcaster buying guide, you can finally have that head start in your search.
In this guide, we talked about 5 awesome products to buy in 2020 and I’m sure you’ll love them too. I love everything that has to do with baitcasting equipment and always search for improvements and the most recent technologies.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know because we will love to hear from you.