If you’re a keen angler then you’ve probably been faced with the issue of wanting to take a rod away with you but been faced with portability issues with the rods you like and quality issues with the rods built with portability in mind. Telescoping rods have improved their build quality over recent years, and the structural integrity of one of these rods now means that it’s easy to have a great, portable rod that will deliver a consistently good performance wherever you decide to take it. With these sorts of rods, it can seem impossible to separate the great ones from the less reliable rods. That’s where this guide comes in.
We’ve done the hard work for you and collected all the best options currently available together so that you can find the perfect rod for you and your needs. We’ve also put together a buyer’s guide to show you all the important features you need to keep in mind while you make your decision about the right telescopic rod for you.
Top 5 Best Telescoping Fishing Rods
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
First up we have this excellent option from KastKing, the rod splits into 6 pieces and is easily transportable, but it performs excellently when it’s put back in one piece. KastKing claims that it functions as well as a full-length one piece and its performance certainly adds weight to that. The rod is incredibly durable thanks to a 24-ton carbon matrix blank, but it retains a great amount of flexibility which adds to its pretty exceptional performance. It’s a versatile rod to capable of handling most types of fishing, and with 14 lengths to choose from all of which are easy to set up no matter where you are fishing and the conditions.
A nice feature of this rod is that it doesn’t need to be de-rigged before you adjust the length, making set-up simple, easy, and convenient. To adjust the rod, all you have to do is pull out each section until it’s at the length you want for the type of fishing you’re doing. KastKing has decided to make this rod suitable for freshwater and saltwater use, and it’s durable enough to be able to cope in both without rusting or breaking.
The handles on this model are made of EVA which makes the rod very comfortable to use and it’s easy to find a good sturdy grip. The rod is available in a range of powers, which means you can use it to catch reasonable sized and weighted fish quite easily no matter where you’re fishing. This is a great rod if you’re looking for something easy to customize and adjust.
If you want a rod that’s incredibly easy to set-up, portable, and is capable of catching a wide range of fish than it’s hard to see you find a better option than this rod. Many anglers think of it as the go-to choice when looking for a portable rod and it’s very easy to see why. This is a rod that every angler no matter their skill set will be able to enjoy.
Easy to adjust to the length you need
Very durable and divides into 6 pieces for easy transportation
Available in a wide range of different powers
Capable of catching a range of good-sized fish
Flexible and easy to adapt
Even a grain of sand can make it hard to collapse/expand, the rod needs to be wiped don carefully after use
- SOLOSCOPIC PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY – KastKing KastFlex Toray 24-Ton Carbon Matrix blank and solid glass tip section deliver unmatched durability, sensitivity and performance. One-piece performance in a six-piece telescopic rod design. Multiple floating line guides improve casting performance, deliver a consistent and smooth taper and eliminate flat or dead spots in the blank. Snug-Fit ferrules provide full length power transition and allow these rods to perform and feel like a 1pc rod.
- MULTIPURPOSE – The KastKing BlackHawk II travel fishing rod is available in 14 lengths and actions in travel spinning rod and casting rod models. You’ll find the perfect spinning fishing rod or baitcasting rod for almost any fresh or saltwater fishing situation whether your trout fishing, bass fishing, kayak fishing or even as a n inshore fishing rod for saltwater fishing from the bank or boat. KastKing travel rods feature amazing design and perfect balance.
- CONVENIENT- Besides the obvious advantage of easy travel over the traditional 1 & 2 pc fishing rods, they save valuable fishing time because you can leave the reel on the rod, line through the guides and fully rigged. Simply open the bail with line through the guides and hook attached, extend the rod to its working length and you'll be fishing again in seconds without re-rigging. Telescopic rods are portable, convenient, and easy-to-carry. Travel anywhere with your Blackhawk II travel rod.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Only high-quality components including stainless steel line guides, graphite reel seats and comfortable EVA handles are used in the construction of the new and improved, KastKing BlackHawk II telescopic rods. The entire series of spinning rods and casting fishing rods makes a great travel fishing pole or back-up telescopic fishing pole.
- QUICK ASSEMBLY - Extending the rod starts at the tip section! As shown in the video, extend each section while aligning the guides one section at a time. Simply extend the tip section until it stops, align the guides to the tip top guide and repeat with all sections. To collapse the telescopic fishing rod to its travel rod length, start at the bottom of the rod and collapse each section with a simple twist as you work your way to the tip of the fishing rod.
If you’ve just started fishing, or you’re trying to expand your gear for the first time than getting a starter bundle is a good way to try out some accessories and get everything you need to get set up in one easy package. Starter bundles can be a great way to work out what you do and don’t need in your gear, so you won’t waste time and money down the line trying something out only to work out it doesn’t suit your style. This next option is a great rod and reel combo that comes with everything you need to get started including a reel (obviously), lures, hooks, and even a compact carrier bag which is great for keeping all the different pieces together when you travel.
This is a model that’s incredibly easy to fold out and collapse again and it even lets you easily fold out to the length you want. It has a line weight of 11-13 lbs and the reel itself is an exceptional model alone. The 12 bearings mean that it has exceptionally smooth casting and the drag is super easy to adjust. The rod tip is also very flexible, but it's also a remarkably sturdy little rod especially around the tip. You won’t have to worry about any breakages with this one, and the whole package can take quite a bit of punishment without any complaint.
Considering everything that’s included with this model this is a very affordable and high-quality option, especially with novices. The set-up itself is perfect for a backpacker considering how small the setup can fold down to, and the combo is ideal for those looking to pursue panfish, small bass, or medium-sized trout. The rod may struggle with some larger fish, but it’s a great travel option especially for adventurers looking to get off the beaten track.
Easy to put together and adjust to your needed length
Collapses to a length of just 16 inches, making it easily transportable
Comes with a range of accessories including its travel case
Excellent quality reel
Flexible and sturdy rod
Anglers looking to go after the bigger prizes might want to look for something with a bit more backbone
- 🎣 Warm Prompt: Two models are offered, please choose the exact model you need in the "select" section. 1> Full Kit with Carrier Case : 1 Fishing Rod + 1 Fishing Reel + Fishing Line + Various Fishing Lures + Fishing Hooks + Some Necessary Accessories + Carrier Bag; 2> Fishing rod + reel(No Lure s& Line): Only Include 1 Fishing Rod +1 Fishing Reel.
- 🎣 Full Kit with Carrier Case is special made for novice, including nessary accessories for fishing. You can use it without buying any other accessories from anywhere.
- 🎣 PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod are constructed with High Density 24-Ton Carbon Fiber reinforced with Fiberglass Composite for power,elasticity and durability; The Welded Stainless Steel Guides with Ceramic Inserts for superior casting distance and accuracy while dissipating heat more efficiently which delivers excellent durability with monofilament, fluorocarbon and braided lines; The Exquisite Reel Seat Is Made of Corrosion Resistant CNC Machined Aluminum for a solid base and all-day.
- 🎣 HA 3000 Fishing Reel With CNC Machine Cut Collapsible Handle, Left / Right Interchangeable The Rod Import Adjustable Full Metal Screw Reel Seat,12+1 Corrosion Resistant Smooth Ball Bearings,Line capacity: mm/M 0.20/240 0.25/200 0.30/140, Gear ratio: 5.2:1.
- 🎣 It's the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiancé, boyfriend for the upcoming Christmas. Want to buy single rod or single reel? Please search the ASIN: B07Y2ZYPN8 or B07YFP8KV3.
If you’re looking for a rod that’s going to give you some fun times but isn’t going to break the bank then this is a good one to look at. This is another rod and reel combo that is very easy to take wherever you want to go, and as long as you’re not after any of the monster fish, it should be more than capable of showing you a good time.
This model has been split into 5 pull out sections, which is less than other options on this list. The line on the bearing reel has already been installed so you can go fishing straight from the box, and the included reel is reversible too. This is a very comfortable reel to use, and the EVA handles feel comfortable and give a nice grip for an easy fishing experience. While the rod is shorter than you might expect, it casts very well and the rod is durable enough to last several years.
If you’re a beginner then this is an excellent option for you. The best way to learn is to get out on the water and start catching some fish and this affordable option lets you get out and go. The combo is very easy to store in a car or to take with you on the go, making it a great option for when you have a sudden inclination to go fishing. Advanced anglers may prefer something with a little bit more power, but this is a fun travel rod that’s a great excuse for beginners to get out there and start working on their skills.
Ready to go straight out of the box
Easy to adjust
Very portable and doesn’t take long to set up
Great for beginners
Casts well and is capable of catching medium-sized fish
Will struggle with the larger fish, probably not the best option for more advanced anglers
- 5'6" spinning rod
- Lightweight aluminum reel
- Pre-loaded with line | Use for Bass fishing or freshwater fishing
- Lure Weight: 1/8-1/2 | Line Weight: 4-10
- Fiberglass construction and EVA foam handle
If you’re a keen backpacker looking for something to put in your pack to take on your next adventure then this is the rod for you. Collapsing down to 16.5 inches this rod is the perfect size to stow safely in a backpack, but it still manages to cram a lot of features and is more than capable of catching some great sized fish. The rod is made from 24-ton carbon fiber combined with E-Glass which makes this rod strong, durable, and incredibly lightweight. If you’re used to lugging around a heavy rod with you when you want to go backpacking or camping then you’ll be astonished by this option. One of the rod’s best features is how easy it is to take in and out of your backpack, it’s been designed to be the perfect rod for those times where you suddenly come across the perfect fishing site but don’t have the time for a full setup. With this rod, it won’t take you long to set up and fish, or pack away and move on.
The build quality on this rod is excellent and the choice of materials makes it a very sturdy and durable option. The rod is well balanced and it’s easy to install your line thanks to the well-designed guides. A lot of work has been put in to maintain this model’s usability despite the focus on portability, and the great thing about this rod is that its primary function is still to get you a great catch.
If you’re an adventurer, or just want a sturdy rod that will fit easily in a backpack when you go hiking or camping then this is a great option to think about. It’s capable of catching some good-sized fish, and it’s so easy to set up and pack away that it is perfect for those sudden perfect fishing locations. It might not be the most advanced or the best rod you’ve ever used but it’s a comfortable and functional rod perfect to take out on the road.
Ultra-lightweight and portable
Made from high-quality composite e-glass material
Fits easily into a backpack
Comfortable to use
A great option for use on the move
Guide frames are a little bulky
- The Sougayilang Telescoping Travel Spinning Fishing Rods Are Made of High Density 24 Ton Carbon Fiber and E-Glass Composite for Great Power and Sensitivity. It's Light Weight and Perfectly Balanced, Thus Less Fatigue. Great Gift for Our Fisherman!
- The Exquisite Reel Seat Is Made of Corrosion Resistant CNC Machined Aluminum for Years of Worry Free Fishing.
- Three Point Welded Stainless Steel Guides with Ceramic Inserts for Use with Braided or Mono Fishing Line and Providing Saltwater Approved Corrosion Resistant and Power Control.
- Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits In Car Trunk, Boat Hatch or Backpack. Sougayilang Telescopic Rods Allow You To Travel To Your Favorite Fishing Spot and Enjoy Fishing Whenever and Wherever You Want.
- Various Sizes and Lengths Available for Freshwater Bass Trout Fishing, Saltwater Surf Fishing or Inshore Fishing.
If your priority from your telescoping rod is durability and sturdiness than this might very well be just what you’re looking for. Despite being an exceptionally lightweight and flexible rod, this model is surprisingly sturdy and combines portability and durability in one surprisingly functional package. This rod has been designed to be extremely comfortable and is more than capable of helping you take down some of the larger fish.
Made from carbon fiber e-glass like some of the other options on this list, this model has an excellent amount of backbone that means it can easily deadlift 10 lbs and hold it’s own against some of the more ferocious fish you might want to pursue. The rod has an EVA forearm grip which is perfect if you like to fish all day as it removes some of the stress from your hands and wrists. Combined with a reel that offers you a good amount of drag, this is a great portable setup that’ll let you catch some real whoppers.
This model is available in a wide range of lengths, so it’s very easy for you to pick what’s best for your fishing needs, and the rod remains very affordable especially considering the durability and sturdiness of this model. If you’re looking for a portable rod that can help you take down some of the big fish then this could be a real contender for you.
Durable and sturdy, should easily last a good few years
The rod can hold its own against the larger fish
Easily collapsible and portable
Suitable for a wide range of skill sets
The handle is a little longer than some might expect from a telescopic rod
- Affordable Fishing Rod Reel Combos - Angler Will Enjoy Fun with This TROUTBOY Fishing Kit. It comes with a Telescopic Fishing Rod ,Spincast Reel and Free Spare Graphite Spool.
- The Rod Features - Perfect Elasticity,Great Power and Sensitivity Spinning Fishing Rod are Made of High Density Carbon Fiber Mixed with Fiberglass Make Your Fishing Pole Hard & Durable. Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats is Anti-seawater Corrosion; Comfort EVA Handle . Introduce any Angler to the Wonderful World of Fishing with Kid Youth Adult Fishing Kit.The Telescopic Design of the Rod Makes it Easy to Carry and Store Just Put it in Your Fishing Bag or the Truck.
- The Reel Features - Spinning Reel with Latest Unique Main Body Design is Prouced in Our Most Popoular Black and Blue Color Combo,High Strength T6 Double Anodized Aluminum Spool Provides a Lightweight Construction Additional Stability .13+1 Doublr Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings Add a Whole New Level of Smoothness, Precision Matched Gears and a Powerful 5.5:1 Gear Ratio,Each Type has Different Line Capacity.
- Multiple Use - It is Very Important for Professional Fisherman is That Have a Suitable Fishing Gear.Here is Suitable Weight and Size Fishing Pole for Fishing Starter .Perfect for Father's Day,Valentine's Day ,Boyfriend, Fiance, Husband Gift and Birthday Gift. Can Enjoy the Weekend With Family for Hiking,Backpacking or Adults Kids Outdoor Sport Travel ! Perfect for Freshwater Bass Trout Salmon Fishing,Saltwater Freshwater Surf River Lake Reservoir Pond Fishing or Inshore Fishing.
- Best Service - We Love Our Customers. 24-hour Customer Service Support,If Any Problem, Please Contact Us Firstly and Our Customer Service will Solve it for You Soon ,NOTE: Want to buy single rod or single reel? Please search the ASIN: B07BNHMD2G or B07D74PXBS.
Best Telescoping Rods Buying Guide
Hopefully, you should now feel like you have more of a handle on just how far telescopic rods have come in recent years and the sort of rod that might be a good addition to your gear. A good telescopic rod can be a real asset to an angler because it can give them access to fishing spots that would otherwise be inaccessible with a full set-up. If you still need convincing then this next section will take you through some of the features of telescopic rods, and what you need to look out for when buying one.
Number of sections
Telescopic rods, as the name suggests, work the same way a telescope does. Each section is encased inside the previous, larger section. When you unfold your rod, the smaller sections extend from the larger sections that come before them, and this is why telescopic rods can fold into small spaces like backpacks. The number of sections your rod is made up of is an important factor with telescopic rods because the more sections your rod has the higher the risk of something breaking is, and depending on the design you choose, some rods with more sections are also harder to extend. The flip side of this is that the more sections you have the further your rod can reach. If you want a longer rod to fish further from shore than you need to reconcile yourself to having more sections in your rod. As with any fishing rod, you have to prioritize your fishing needs to make the best decision on what rod you buy.
The materials your rod is made from help determine how strong and durable it is, so clearly it’s a pretty big deal. The most common materials are carbon fiber, graphite, and e-glass composites because of their strength, durability, and crucially how lightweight they are. As telescopic rods, the main draw is their portability; they need to be light as well as strong. Some rods use aluminum but it just competes in the same way with the other materials in terms of weight.
A rod’s power indicates how large a fish you’re capable of going after with that rod. The bigger the fish the more power you want. You need to look at what fish you want to catch and adjust the power of the rods you’re looking at accordingly. Ultra-heavy rods will catch you the monster fish, while something around the medium mark will probably be a pretty decent all-rounder. Just don’t expect an underpowered rod to give its best performance if you’re going after the big boys.
Are telescopic rods good?
A few years ago telescopic rods were considered to be on the same level as kids fishing rods in that they weren’t going to catch you anything worth writing home about. In recent years though there have been some excellent rods made that can catch you some big fish and that you can easily take with you while you’re out and about. Telescopic rods are great to have with you when you’re going somewhere where you might find a good fishing spot. They give you a bit more freedom and a lot more opportunities to fish in places you may not have otherwise had the chance
Do telescopic rods break easily?
This depends a lot on the quality of the rod you go for. If you’re willing to invest or spend the time researching the best rods for your budget then you’ll probably find something that you’ll get good use out of. Don’t just go for the first thing you see because it might not be as sturdy or made from the quality materials that you need it to be.