If you’re a keen angler than it makes sense, you’ll want to introduce the sport to the next generation. Many anglers are passionate about keeping the sport alive, and what better way is there than getting a young angler their first rod and taking them out of the water.
Fishing requires patience and needs you to put in effort on your technique to progress and some children may lose interest quickly especially if they have trouble mastering things like casting without tangling their line. Fishing rods are also very heavy, even for adults, and you can’t just give a full-sized rod to a child and expect them to fish comfortably.
Therefore, finding your child the best rod that’s suited to them and their age group or skill level is essential if you’re going to have a hope of passing on your love of fishing.
Finding the right rod can feel overwhelming given the amount of choice on the market, and picking between the cheaper child models and the ones that are going to last a while and catch some fish is difficult.
Don’t worry if you’ve struggled because that’s exactly why this guide is here. We’re going to take you through 5 of the best choices for kids fishing poles, and show you some of the things you need to keep in mind before making your decision.
Top 5 Best Kids Fishing Poles
OUR TOP PICK
If you’re looking for a complete package to start your child off than this option is a great place to start. This option form Plusinno includes everything you need to get out on the water in one compact package.
This model has been explicitly designed for kids (though there is no real reason this wouldn’t make a great starter rod for an adult) which is why both the rod and reel are extremely lightweight to make it as comfortable as possible for the child using it. This telescopic model collapses down easily and can be put into a backpack for easy portability.
As one of the most important aspects of learning to fish is attaching the reel to the rod it’s a nice touch that this option comes with an easy to follow manual that kids as young as 7 or 8 will easily be able to follow. This is a very durable set-up made from Fibre-Reinforced-Plastic (FRP) which is one of the reasons that the whole package is so lightweight, Plusinno has been careful to make sure that the rod is tough and robust despite being made of plastic and it should easily be able to last until your child is ready for a full-sized rod.
The rod is very comfortable to use with both rod and reel handles being made from soft-EVA which makes it easy to find a comfortable grip that’s easily maintained even for a significant period. The reel comes with around 6lb of pre-spooled mono line, and the set-up is very sensitive. Even younger children will easily be able to notice any activity by the fish, which is a great start for learning to recognize a signal to set the hook.
The reel has a large line capacity, but it doesn’t have the best casting distance. This shouldn’t be too much of an issue for most young anglers, but it’s something to look out for as their skills improve The rod is moderate action and kids will be able to catch lightweight-medium sized fish with this rod and reel and it’s a lot of fun to use.
When buying a kid’s rod, the eternal question is how sturdy is it likely to be compared to how much you want to spend. This set-up is high value as the combo is sure to last a long time and it comes with everything you need to get your child set-up and on the water.
- Comes with everything you need to get started
- Reliable and durable
- Easily portable
- Will start catching fish immediately
- Comes with an easy to understand manual on how to attach a reel to a rod
- Line tangles are possible considering the casting distance on this option
- Kids will enjoy hours of angling fun with this PLUSINNO Kids Fishing Kit. It comes complete with a telescopic fishing rod,spincast reel, line and fishing tackle.necessary fishing gear provided by plusinno.
- A child’s first fishing trip is exciting for both parent and child. A suitable fishing pole for kids is very important.here is suitable size fishing pole for your kids.
- Introduce your child to the wonderful world of fishing with kids fishing kit.The plusinno fishing pole has a handle that fits comfortably in children's little fingers and winds for retrieving the line. The rod is 3.94ft long and 2.2oz heavy. The telescopic design of the rod makes it easy to carry and store.
- Fishing with kids is a great family outdoors activity.Whether you’re going fishing for the first time or you’ve decided to recreate your favourite childhood memory for your kids, here’s the fishing gear plusinno you need to get your family ready.
- From PLUSINNO fishing rod and reel combos of adult, to our best in class line of licensed kid's products. plusinno offers something for the whole family and all levels of experience. our objective is simple: make fishing easy and enjoyable.
If you’re looking for a rod that’s easy to take on the move with you then this is an excellent option to take your kids fishing wherever and whenever you want to. The durable rod is made from a graphite and fiberglass composite taken from the adult version of this rod and applied to a suitable child-sized model.
This 5-foot 6 rod is great for kids 7 and up, but any younger will probably struggle with length. It’s very sensitive and is excellent at letting its user know about the tiniest nibble. This model’s reliability is an excellent confidence booster and a great way to keep a child’s interest through long hours of fishing.
This is a great option for kids as it’s lightweight enough to let them fish for hours without getting tired and robust enough to stand up to any bumps and bruises that may happen throughout a young angler’s usage. The rod is designed to be durable enough to survive most things that you throw it at, and it’s a good quality rod that can be used until your child grows out of it without needing to be replaced.
The reel has just one ball bearing, but the reel has been designed for children so one is plenty, and the reel casts and retrieves very smoothly. The reel handles are ambidextrous which is another nice feature for kids, as both left and right-handed children can use it easily without needing to use their non-dominant hand.
The reel has a max capacity of 145 yards on a 6lbs line and handles very nicely. It’s unlikely that the reel will last as long as the rod as it requires proper maintenance that children are unlikely to realize, but it’s still good quality and excellent value considering the price of the combo. This is an excellently portable and durable rod and reel combo which will give a lot of enjoyment to the user and is a great way to introduce slightly older children to fishing.
This rod is likely to last until your child is ready for an adult rod, and is an excellent investment for some excellent fishing tips in the future.
- Signature Clear Tip® design
- Very durable
- Casts and retrieves well
- Children younger than 7 will struggle with this model
- Youth Fishing rod and reel combo ideal for equipping the whole family for fishing trips
- Graphite and fiberglass construction offers lightweight durability and sensitivity
- Clear Tip design delivers added responsiveness and strength
- Lightweight EVA grips designed specifically for smaller hands
- Machined aluminum spool plus one ball bearing ensures smooth operation
If you’re just looking for a fun kid’s rod that would be a great product to take hiking or camping but not something that would be great for learning on than this might be just what you’re looking for. This spinning option from Plusinno is a great option for younger children aged 3-7, like the previous model from Plusinno this rod has been made Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) while the reel has been constructed Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) which makes the whole set-up quite durable and easily capable of handling some bumps, either while being used or during travel.
The rod is telescopic so can be easily collapsed down to fit in luggage or a backpack, and it’s a great option to take away with you if you’re going to be near some nice fishing spots that you’d like to introduce your kids to.
The reel is a standard spincast model with pre-spooled eight-ten pound monofilament line included, the guides are also high-quality and durable and they do a pretty good job at making the line run smoothly. The drag system on this model is pretty basic but considering the target age range, you probably wouldn’t want anything else anyway.
The rod comes in two weight options: 4.23oz and 4.86oz while the reel weighs only 4.73oz. Most children in the age range will find this set-up easy to use and lightweight, and this model is much lighter than the option above. There is a range of length options also available and you can pick the one that would best suit your child’s height and ability.
The rod handle has rubber grips to help the angler maintain a comfortable grip while the reel handle has a plastic grip. Both are pretty durable. The drag adjustment scroll lever hasn’t got a clear indication of which way the drag increases or decreases which is confusing when you first use this combo. However, once you know that the rod lever increases the tension to the left then you get used to using the lever quickly.
The gear ratio is quite low, which can be tiring on the arms and wrists, but combined with a maximum of 10-15 yards of line this probably won’t be too hard on young anglers. The rod is also very light which removes some of the strain from arms and hands and it has a lot of backbone for hauling in a catch. This model will do well in freshwater fishing and is best used with live bait.
Younger anglers will find this rod a lot of fun to use while away and it’s an excellent introduction to fishing for young children. Once a child wants to learn properly however, the rod will need to be upgraded. Despite that this is a good quality rod that should last several years with minimal maintenance.
- Very light
- A great option for an early introduction to fishing
- Suitable for young children
- Comfortable to use
- Not suitable as a learning rod
- Kids will enjoy hours of angling fun with this PLUSINNO Kids Fishing Kit. It comes complete with a telescopic fishing rod,spinning reel, line and fishing tackle.necessary fishing gear provided by PLUSINNO.
- A child’s first fishing trip is exciting for both parent and child. A suitable fishing pole for kids is very important.Here is suitable size fishing pole for your kids.
- Introduce your child to the wonderful world of fishing with kids fishing kit.The PLUSINNO fishing pole has a handle that fits comfortably in children's little fingers and winds for retrieving the line. The rod is 3.94ft long and 2.2oz heavy. The telescopic design of the rod makes it easy to carry and store.
- Fishing with kids is a great family outdoors activity.Whether you’re going fishing for the first time or you’ve decided to recreate your favourite childhood memory for your kids, here’s the fishing gear PLUSINNO you need to get your family ready.
- From PLUSINNO fishing rod and reel combos of adult, to our best in class line of licensed kid's products. PLUSINNO offers something for the whole family and all levels of experience. our objective is simple: make fishing easy and enjoyable.
This is another great option if you’re looking for an all in one starter kit that will give a young angler everything, they need to start fishing. This telescoping rod option is also great for a family fishing trip, as it collapses to just 17 inches with an included carry bag that fits all the included accessories as well.
The whole pack can fit easily inside a backpack and as the rod is so lightweight, you won’t even notice it. The rod can expand to 65 inches making it a very versatile rod for a variety of ages, the rod is made with high-quality Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) which makes the rod lightweight and pretty durable. The rod handle is made from EVA which makes it easy for even small children to find a comfortable grip.
The combo has a lot of beginner-friendly features like a push-button casting system which makes casting simple and easy regardless of your age or skill. The reel is a spincast reel pre-spooled with an included 200 feet of an 8-lb test line. The included tackle kit has a wide range of baits and lures which is a great way of helping your child work out what they like and don’t like using, and you don’t have the added expense of buying these separately.
The starter pack also includes a hand net for catching baits like minnows which is a great way of involving any younger children who aren’t ready for a rod yet, and of course, you need bait to fish. Considering the price of this model, it comes with an awful lot of included accessories.
If you’ve been looking for a one-stop-shop for everything a young novice angler could need then it’s hard to think of a better option than this one. Lanaak has even included a starter guide to fishing which explains everything you need to know clearly and is a great way to start beginners off on their fishing adventure.
- A great range of included accessories
- A good family starter kit
- Rod is quite durable
- Included a beginner’s guide to fishing
- The reel may start to jam
- 37 PIECE FISHING GEAR KIT includes: 65 inch telescopic fishing rod; spincast reel; tackle box stocked with gear; minnow net; beginner’s guide; and carry case.
- EASY TO CAST reel features push-button design. Reel arrives pre-spooled, no assembly needed.
- LOADED TACKLE BOX comes with 2 floating bobbers; 10 hooks; 10 split sinkers; 10 swivels; 2 jig heads; 6 plastic worms; and 1 crankbait lure.
- BAIT NET provides endless fun. Skip the bait shop, and watch as they entertain themselves chasing crickets and minnows!
- CARRY BAG INCLUDED for storage and travel. This whole kit fits under a car seat or in a backpack. Gear up for an outdoor adventure today!
This is a very easy combo to get used to and it’s fun and colorful design is sure to be a great hit with kids of all ages. This option comes with a simple reel, that even beginners will be able to get the hang of. This model is an effective but easy to use, even from the very first fishing experience.
This model includes a soft grip and can be used comfortably by children as young as 3. The success that even novices will find with this option will be a massive confidence booster and help children enjoy their time on the water until they’re ready for a more adult-sized rod.
- Easy to use
- Comfortable grips that’s easy for even young children to get a sturdy grip with
- Effective and can be used by very young anglers
- The included line is great
- Even young children ill be able to cast
- The reel is not as durable as the rod
Best Kids Fishing Poles Buying Guide
Buying a rod for a child can be difficult, especially because you want a rod that’s going to make their first fishing experiences fun and enjoyable. Hopefully, you now have more of an idea of the kind of options out there and what might suit your child. If not, this section is here to take you through a few of the most important features on a kid’s fishing rod so that you can make the best choice.
As with all rod, the length of rod you get is important when you’re in the market for a child’s fishing rod. The right length will make it easier for a child to fish, and it will help keep them safe while out on the water.
Shorter poles might be less effective for fishing, but they are generally better for younger and less experienced children. Practicing technique and getting to grips with the basics is easier on smaller rods which means that as your children grow, they can move on to bigger rods that have a higher success rate.
One option for solving the length issue is to look into telescopic rods. These can be collapsed from their full length so that they are easier to handle. A telescoping rod is a good way to have a versatile rod that can change size depending on the user.
Finding the right weight for your child’s rod can be tricky because you want them to learn the right technique for hauling in fish and for them to be able to cast properly.
To do this you need to train with the correctly weighted rod and when you don’t know how strong your kids are this can be an issue. Getting a lightweight rod is probably the best option as it’s easier to cast lures correctly, and it’s less likely to get heavy after long periods and ruin the fun
Best Kids Fishing Poles FAQ's
Is it safe for my child to use a kid’s fishing rod?
There are lots of different options for different ages and abilities, and there is no reason why using them can’t be fun and completely safe. Some of these options are more complex than others and you need to judge when is safe for your child to be trusted with them. Being near any body of water at any age has an element of risk, but as long as they are used properly there is no reason why a kid wouldn’t be safe to use one of these rods.
Could a fish drag a child into the water?
While this could happen it is very, very unlikely. If a fish was ever close to pulling in a child they’ll probably just let go of the rod and if they were having trouble it would simply be a matter of cutting the line to remove any danger. As your child gets more experience they’ll learn how to cope for themselves and until the point, it’s best to supervise them to stop any worry.