Artificial lures are often used as substitutes for natural bait when fishing. These lures are attached to small metal hooks that are designed to trap the fish as they bite. Using a lure is the most common alternative to live baiting and is often the more favored method between anglers due to several reasons.
Bait fishing is a lot messier than lure fishing and requires a lot more effort in terms of maintenance and storage. Lure fishing is also a lot better when it comes to accurately targeting specific fish types. Lures are designed to imitate the sorts of insects and leeches that are typically found in fish’s diets. They mimic the creatures’ color, weight, and movements which is why they are so attractive to fish.
As the name suggests, saltwater lures are designed to attract fish that inhabit saltwater environments. They are significantly different from freshwater lures as they are targeted towards fish who are used to entirely different diets and surrounding conditions. Thus, if you are a saltwater angler, you will need to ensure that you are equipped with the correct type of lure.
Whether you’re inshore or offshore fishing, the saltwater lure you have at the end of your line will have a significant impact on the success of your experience. With this in mind, you will want to ensure that you are casting with the best saltwater lures available. To help you with this, we thought we would review 5 of the best saltwater lures on the market today and answer some questions that we think you might find helpful.
We have also outlined a few things you should be keeping in mind whilst choosing the right salter water lure for you.
Top 5 Best Saltwater Lures
OUR TOP PICK
The Heddon Super Spook Topwater Fishing Lure is one of the most bestselling saltwater lures on the market. Constructed of high-quality, durable materials, this lure is designed to resemble a wounded baitfish. Baitfish are extremely attractive to many fish specifies so this lure is a perfect option for anyone who likes to target a wide variety of fish types.
The Super Spook is also available in a range of different colors and patterns to mimic different forms of natural bait. Whether you’re going to be fishing in the clear, light waters of the winter, or the warm, murky waters of the late summer months, there will be various Super Spook Lures to suit your preferences.
The Heddon Lures feature 2 super sharp hooks that guarantee to catch the fish as soon as they bite. This is especially effective when it comes to fishing for large stripers and other hard-charging, aggressive species.
What’s particularly unique about the Heddon Super Spook lures is that they are designed to ‘wobble’ when cast into the water, which creates an incredibly realistic looking lure. They are also designed to emit high-pitched noise that resembles the sorts of sound a struggling baitfish might make.
This saltwater lure is a wonderful option for anyone who likes to be extremely specific and accurate in their angling techniques. At such a reasonable price, you won’t’ be disappointed.
- -Extremely popular amongst amateur and professional saltwater anglers
- -Constructed of tough, high-quality materials
- -The lures make noises to make them more realistic
- -Easy to use
- -Great value for money
- -Some buyers have reported issues with the hooks being too weak
The Aorace 3D Saltwater Fishing Lures are constructed of durable ABS hard plastic, superlative coating, and sharp, metal hooks. The lures are designed to work in both saltwater and freshwater conditions so are perfect for those versatile anglers who tend to switch up their fishing location. The lures are ideal for attracting species such as trout, striper, sea bass and salmon, pike, musky, and many more.
These lures are made to look extremely realistic in terms of their coloring and texture. They also have pairs of 3D eyes that work to give them extra life. A really unique feature of these lures is that they have small steel balls inside their bodies which works to allow for distant casting and extremely precise swimming patterns.
This extra weighting also means that the lures will almost ‘vibrate’ when cast into the water to resemble the movements of a struggling baitfish. When exposed to sunlight, their coating becomes almost iridescent which works to create the illusion of a real-life piece of bait.
You also have a variety of colors to choose from in the 8pc kit that are specifically designed to attract different types of fish. This is what makes the Aorace 3D Saltwater Lures the perfect kit to take away with you on a fishing expedition.
- -Lures are attached to extremely sharp hooks which guarantee to catch every time
- -Can be used in both freshwater and saltwater conditions
- -Extremely realistic and vibrant appearance
- -Durable material construction
- -Perfect for distant casting
- -Not great for targeting larger fish
- Durable ABS hard plastic body, exquisite coating, and sharp metal hooks set the hard baits high quality
- There are steel balls inside which can flow to the tail during casting time to help you cast further and ensure the swimming stroke of every bait
- Work great for both saltwater and freshwater.Productive when trolling, surfcasting on salmon, sea trout, striper, pike, bass, musky etc
- Lure minnow and pencil modes, portable and environmental. Type: Hard Bait and Lures Style: Pencil,Fish
- Brilliant color and patterns of real bait fish which create life-like swimming actions in water! Smooth and rapid action,bright colors 3D eyes with sharp treble hooks make it a powerful catching tool
The Truscend Fishing Saltwater Lures are renowned for their extremely realistic, robotic construction. Their body consists of 7-multijointed segments which make the lures incredibly flexible in the water. This creates life-like swimming actions which make the lures seem incredibly real from a fish’s perspective. Their close-to-reality construction makes them highly attractive and provoking to surrounding fish which is why they are some of the most popular fishing lures on the market today.
The lures are equipped with 3D eyes and pearl power coating. This coating ensures that the lures look extremely delicate and reflective in the light. They are also made of high-quality, durable ABS materials and are equipped with a built-in-rattle that is designed to mirror the kinds of sounds natural baitfishes would make.
These lures are suitable for not just saltwater conditions but freshwater conditions too and are designed to attract a wide variety of fish including pike, trout, snook, salmon, walleye, and bass. If you are planning on going on a multi-location fishing trip, this lure kit would be a fantastic companion that would ensure you plenty of catches.
- -The lures feature 3D realistic looking eyes
- -Vivid, delicate construction
- -Lures will vibrate in the water which works to attract fish
- -Can be used to catch a wide variety of fish
- -Designed with a 7 segment multi-jointed body
- -Some buyers have reported hooks falling off
- 🐟【7 SEGMENTS LIFELIKE LURES】Designed with 7 segment multi-jointed body, TRUSCEND fishing lure can sink slowly and move flexible in water. In addition, life-like swimming actions make it attracting more catches and provoking predator fish to strike.
- 🐟【HIGH SIMULATION】With 3D realistic looking eyes and pearl powder coating, this swimbait appears very delicate and vivid that looks like a real fish. A perfect fishing bait that easily cheats the target fishes.
- 🐟【BASS VIBRATION】Made of high-quality ABS material and equipped with built-in rattle, this vibe lure can continuously emit the fish sound wave to during the swimming to provoke the feeding urge of the fishes and induce them to attack.
- 🐟【WIDELY FISHING SPECIES】This bass fishing lure can be widely used to catch bass, yellow perch, walleye, pike, muskie, roach, trout, snook. salmon etc. This swimbait is quite suitable for both saltwater and freshwater and functions well in all water layers.
- 🐟【100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】Our fishing baits offer 12-months quality assurance and lifetime professional customer service. Please feel free to contact us anytime. Our friendly and reliable customer service will respond to you within 24 hours!
The Bass Assassin Sea Shad Saltwater Lures are incredibly unique in terms of their appearance and construction. Featuring a herring-like body and a paddle tail, these lures are perfect for those saltwater environments in which various fish species inhabit. Their paddle tails work to create pragmatic, smoother movements within the water which is ideal when it comes to targeting the larger fish such as trout and red fish. In the kit, you get 10 lures in total which is plenty considering they are completely reusable.
You can also choose the color of your lures which is perfect for anyone who likes to be extremely specific in their fishing techniques. If you like to go for the more natural, camouflage lures, you could opt for the ‘silver mullet’ lure or the ‘cajun croaker’, whilst if you are someone who tends to prefer the more visible, vibrant lures, you could opt for the ‘copperhead’ or the ‘Limetreuse’.
You should keep in mind that the color of your lure should depend almost entirely on the location in which you are fishing. If you are fishing in dark, murky waters then you should opt for a brighter color so that it can be easily identified.
On the other hand, if you are going to be fishing in light, clear waters, you may want to opt for the more realistic looking options. With this being said, all of the Bass Assassin Lures will work amazingly in the water and the color you go for should depend entirely on your own personal preferences.
- -Easy to use
- -Great value for money
- -Extremely soft and pliable
- -Constructed of durable, high-quality materials
- -Available in a range of vibrant colors
- -Will not last as long as some of the other options
- Country Of Origin : United States
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 1.78 Centimeters
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 11.94 Centimeters
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 7.87 Centimeters
The XBlack Hard Fishing Saltwater Lures would be a fantastic companion to any saltwater fishing enthusiast. The 43 pc set includes 8 different styles that are specifically included to target different types of fish, including poppers, minnow, and frogs.
These lures are designed to be extremely realistic and closely resemble the common food organisms of saltwater fish. They are also designed to function at a range of different depths. These lures feature 3D scales, 3D eyes, and extremely detailed paint jobs that really work to bring the lures to life. Because of how close to reality these lures are, it would take an extremely clever fish to detect that these lures do not actually live and breathe.
The lures are also constructed of highly durable, good-quality materials that are designed to withstand all sorts of rough, abrasive conditions. As saltwater can be extremely corrosive, it is highly important that the lures are built this way.
Whilst these XBlack Hard Fishing Saltwater Lures are some of the best on the market, they are still incredibly well priced considering the number of saltwater lures you get.
- -Constructed with 3D eyes and realistic fish scales
- -Crash and bite resistant
- -Ideal for all sorts of fish types including bass, perch, salmon, and pike
- -Ultra-sharp hooks
- -Includes a variety of lure types including poppers, frogs, and minnows
- -Expensive in comparison to the other options
- 8 different baits:Popper 6+5 pcs(2 different styles),Minnow 7+5+5+5+4pcs(5 different styles),Frogs 6 pcs.
- Fishing Lure Have A Widely Dives Up And Can Be Burned Through Open Water, Crashed Into Thick Shallow Cover, Ripped Out Of Grass, Or Cranked Over Rocks.
- The Fishing Lures Also Features 3D Eyes, 3D Scales, And Realistic Paint Jobs That Bring The Bait To Life. Equipped With Super Sharp Treble Hooks, The Hard Baits Will Keep Fish Pinned All The Way Back To The Boat.
- Left-To-Right With “S” Type Life-Like Swimming Hunting Action On The Retrieve, Which Causes More Reaction Strikes Without The Bait Having To Contact Cover.
- Great for Bass, Perch, Panfish,Perch,Trout,even pike and salmon!This kit is best gift for your friends and families.
Best Saltwater Lures Buying Guide
When it comes to buying saltwater lures, the type you choose will depend entirely on your personal preference. In order to make the right decision, you will firstly need to determine where you are going to be fishing, what you are going to be targeting, and the type of equipment you are going to be using. Then, you can start to weigh up the suitable options. Let’s take a look at some of the vital characteristics and properties that you should be considering when looking to purchase saltwater lures.
There are various types of saltwater fishing lures available on the market and each type is designed to catch a specific type of fish. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular lure types used by saltwater anglers:
Jigs are probably the most popular type of saltwater fishing lure. They are designed to imitate all sorts of organisms including baitfish, invertebrates, and crustaceans. They typically have a weighted head on one side, a hook on the other, and are decorated with either a plastic grub or a feather skirt. Because of their weight, they are known for sinking a lot faster than most lures which makes them great for those bottom-feeding saltwater fish.
Plugs are hard-plastic saltwater fishing lures that are designed to imitate baitfish and other types of prey. They are constructed of hard plastic and feature a ‘lip’ which is typically made of metal or plastic. The purpose of the lip is to make the lure wobble in the water which makes them seem extremely realistic in the water. Depending on their weight, these lures can either sink in the water or float on the surface.
As their name suggests, spoon lures are concaved and curved in their shape to resemble a spoon. Their shape allows them to move in the water whilst their shiny, metal surface causes them to glisten in the sun. This makes them extremely attractive to fish who tend to mistake them for small, struggling, silver-colored fish. As a rule of thumb, the larger the curve of the spoon, the more it will wobble in the water.
Soft plastic lures are squidgy, rubbery, artificial baits that are designed to resemble a variety of aquatic organisms. Typically, they are shaped like worms, lizards, or frogs and tend to be extremely bright in their coloring. This makes them the perfect lure for fishing for species like bass in darker, murkier waters.
When it comes to saltwater lures, you will want to ensure they are made of high-quality materials so that they last you for many uses. To make sure that your lures are durable, you should look out for materials such as stainless steel or plastic which are renowned for being abrasion and corrosion-resistant. You should also look out for bite-resistant and UV resistant materials to ensure that your saltwater lures will be able to withstand all sorts of conditions and situations.
The color of your lure should depend entirely on the water in which you are going to be using it and the type of fish you are going to be targeting. In darker, murkier waters, bright-colored lures tend to work best as they can be easily detected, even from a distance. In lighter, clearer waters, subtle colored lures tend to be a lot more effective. These darker, more natural colors also tend to be a lot more realistic in terms of appearing like natural bait.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are saltwater lures reusable?
Unlike natural bait, artificial lures are reusable which is extremely convenient and cost-effective. Whilst you would need to keep purchasing and refrigerating natural bait, lures can be used over and over again until they are worn out or they get lost. The life span of your saltwater lures will also depend on their constructions. With this in mind, you will want to ensure that the lures you buy are made of high-quality, durable materials that will be able to withstand the abrasive saltwater.
Can I use freshwater lures instead of saltwater lures?
Whilst there is no official rule stopping you from using freshwater and saltwater lures interchangeably, you will have a lot more success if you use the correct type of lures. This is because the two types are designed with two completely different environments in mind. As saltwater lures are designed to cater to larger fish and much more aggressive, corrosive conditions, they are typically a lot heavier and more robust in their construction. Because of this, they are not always suitable for freshwater fishing. Saltwater fish are also used to an entirely different diet to freshwater fish, so the fish are unlikely to be attracted to the same kinds of lures. With this being said, some lures are designed to work well in both water types.