Trout is a forever popular freshwater fish for anglers to go after, and luckily they’re opportunistic feeders so they can be pursued with flies, lures, and baits which makes them a great one for all sorts of different fishing techniques so they’re always fun to catch.
Unfortunately for the hopeful angler though trout are also very picky eaters and to get them to bite consistently, improve the amount you land and maybe even to catch some trophy game, you’re going to need the best trout lures available in your arsenal.
Many novice anglers decide to go after trout because they’re so much fun to catch, and there are some really beautiful spots where trout can be caught but get frustrated with how irregularly they can get them to bite, so finding the right lure is essential for a beginner if they want the highest chance of landing fish. It can be hard finding the best lure though because trout angling is so popular and with no chance of that changing anytime soon wading through all the different lure options can be hard.
You want your lure to be suited to the environment you’re fishing in whether that’s a river, lake or pond and with so many different products available spotting which ones are the best quality and will suit your style can be tough, so we’ve put together some of the best trout lures currently available for you to take a look at.
We will also take you through some of the most important features for you to remember when you’re in the market for a new trout lure and answered some of your questions. Let’s take a plunge and dive deep into the world trout lures!
Top 5 Best Trout Lures
OUR TOP PICK
When you’re just getting started why not go back to the lures that have been tried and tested again and again. This option has been around for a good couple of decades and it shows no signs of disappearing anytime soon. This is a classic lure that trout love to attack because of its action in the water and it’s a great one for those who want to something that’s consistently proven its effectiveness.
This brass option is quite heavy, but it’s reassuringly solid and it’s perfect for deep water fishing in a range of locations like lakes, rivers, and streams. The brass construction means that it’s very durable and likely to be in your tackle box for a while. This is a versatile lure thanks to the simple design and construction which makes it perfect for trolling, with an impressive casting ability, but still a good option for vertically jigging.
This is a great lure to have in your tackle box as a rule as it can be used on a range of trout species, but also panfish, small-mouthed bass or pickerel, so it’s a good option if you’re looking to flesh out the range of lures you carry to be prepared for most eventualities.
The lure can be used in both freshwater and saltwater thanks to the choice to use brass which doesn’t corrode or lose its shine which makes it very effective for luring in trout. You can use this lure with light or ultra-lite tackle, and it can be used with 2-4 lb test lines.
This is a great option for beginners who are looking to take the next step as this is a reliable lure that’s proven its ability repeatedly. More seasoned anglers may have already heard of it and know about its quality, but if you’re a trout angler without one of these in their tackle box than you may find your success rate dramatically improves when you start to use it.
At the end of the day, this is a durable versatile lure that any angler would be happy to have in their arsenal. If you’re looking for something with a proven track record for reliability you won’t go far wrong with this option.
- Very durable brass construction
- Gives an excellent casting distance
- Proven track record
- Extremely versatile, suitable for a wide range of locations and water bodies
- Easy to use a good option for beginners
- The luster will fade with repeated use, but this normally takes a pretty long time
- The Kastmaster is machined from solid brass It won't break, bend or corrode and it retains its luster even after repeated exposure to salt water
- Ideal for trout, pickerel, panfish, smallmouth bass, snapperblues
- 2-4 lb test - ultra-lite, light spinning and ice jigging
This lure is designed to look like a small fish and swim realistically enough to fool the trout into thinking its prey and taking a bite. The very sharp #10 treble hooks mean that as soon as the lure has snared the fish it can’t get free and you can reel it in easily.
The lure is very well made and includes a multiple BB chamber which emits a low rattle noise like real baitfish which further convinces the trout that it might make a tasty meal. As trout are very picky any lure that can usefully entice them is an excellent addition to an angler’s kits, and this combined with the versatility of this option.
This is a durable option thanks to the coated ABS plastic construction which makes it pretty robust, and it can easily handle regular rough conditions or handling so it may be a good one for novices who may not have the control to avoid obstacles yet.
This lure is a small crankbait and it’s excellent for surface fishing, and can be used to a depth of around 2 feet, the lure will sink slowly to this depth which makes it a good one for control which again may suit it as a good lure to teach beginners good technique. The lure can be used in a wide range of different waters like rivers and streams but is also effective in lakes or ponds.
The lure is lightweight which makes it easy to cast a reasonable distance and you can use it while cranking or twitching. The lure has been designed with trout fishing in mind, but it could also be used to after other fish like pike, perch, carp, or crappie, for best results keeping to a natural fish colored lure is advisable, though some anglers may prefer color for visibility purposes. You can use this lure with medium/light gear and it’s not recommended to use with a swivel.
These are a great option for beginners and seasoned anglers thanks to their realistically fish design and excellent construction. When trout fishing half the battle is getting them to bite, this lure removes that worry so you can just enjoy your fishing trip and watch the number of fish you’ve landed climb.
- Durable and long-lasting due to ABS construction
- Includes 2 treble hooks for deadly hooking action
- Very realistic to entice the trout
- Rattling sound due to BB inner chamber
- Very versatile
- They’re not likely to last more than a few years with constant use but the price makes them a very attractive prospect
- 4.9 out of 5 STAR RATED - SLENDER, LOW PROFILE - Topwater Crankbait Designed with a small front lip
- SLOW SINKING FISHING LURE - Optimal Target Depth 0-2 feet
- MULTIPLE RATTLING BB INNER CHAMBER - Designed to maintain upright position through the water, resonates a low frequency rattle which mimics real life baitfish
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION - Made of industry standard coated ABS plastic, handles abuse without chipping or cracking
- (2) - ULTRA-SHARP Size #10 Treble Hooks, Big fish strike and CAN"T GET OFF YOUR LINE!
As we’ve said sometimes the hardest aspect of trout angling is enticing the fish to bite, and every trout angler has had days where the trout won’t come for baitfish imitator, spinners, or worms. This is a great option to have in your arsenal when this happens and you may find that this option transforms a trip where you’re not catching anything to the one where you land your record.
This dough bait has been specially enhanced with an exclusive formula that appeals to the trout’s sense of smell which can make the fish bite down up to 18x longer than they would otherwise. This option also includes crystalline glitter that reflects lights to increases its visibility so that the trout’s attention is caught, and they take a bite.
Most anglers probably don’t want to use this bait all the time as some anglers find that it can take the fun out of fishing because of how effective it is But it’s an excellent option to have as a backup or if you want an almost guaranteed nibble. Powerbait comes in small jars, and as long as you keep it in an airtight container it can last for at least a good few years.
A treble hook tends to hold the bait better than a single and you’ll have an improvement on your casting distance. As trout tend to roam around a location due to their nomadic nature this makes using this lure very easy. All you have to do is use enough to float the hook and when the trout see the light reflecting off the glitter, they’re likely to be convinced to take a bite.
Many anglers find that they can catch some large fish with this option and it’s a very versatile method.
- Glitter enhances visibility and makes it more likely to catch the trout’s attention
- Exclusive smell and taste which has proven to be very attractive among trout
- Different colors available
- Easy to use and versatile
- Lasts a long time
- Probably not going to be your go-to lure, but useful to have as a backup
- Irresistible scent and flavor developed by Berkley scientists for over 25 years
- Floating trout bait disperses advanced scent and flavor enhancers
- Rainbow-colored dough with Crystalina glitter reflects light and increases visibility
- Helps make novice anglers good and good anglers great
- Infused with glitter to reflect light, increase visibility
This option is a little bit different to some of the other options because it doesn’t try and convince the trout that it’s something delicious, but instead triggers their natural fight instincts to attack. This is a good option for anyone looking for something a little bit different that’s going to reliably catch them fish.
This spinner lure works by attracting trout with the spinning blade through the vibration of it spinning and the flash of the blades, the spinner also moves realistically to get the trout close enough to trigger their fight instinct so they can be enticed into striking.
This is an excellent quality lure that’s brightly colored to help attract the trout’s attention, and the blades are a mix of machined brass and silver-plated steel all of which are good quality and are designed to spin fast enough to create a variety of different vibrations and flashes to attract a range of different trout.
One of the major benefits of this option is that you get 16 different sizes, colors, and 4g-12g weights, so this is an excellent value option that gives you a wide range of lures to personalize your fishing experience for a very affordable price. The lures come in their own carry bag so it’s very simple to take them with you on a trip so you can match different weather conditions, locations, and whether the trout are biting or not with different lures.
If you’re a beginner then this is an excellent lure kit that gives you pretty much everything you need to have a good selection of lures for every occasion. Seasoned anglers will find this an excellent solution to losing lures on snags or through bad weather conditions, this is an excellent way to have different sized lures available to you easily at an excellent price. This option is well designed, with very sharp hooks that work very well, and most importantly it consistently attracts fish.
- Includes carry bag so you can take lures easily with you on the go
- Great selection of sizes and colors for every occasion
- Suitable for a range of locations and fresh and saltwater use
- Very effective at luring trout
- A great option for novices looking to build their lure collection
- Gives less feedback than more expensive products but still very good value
- PLUSINNO Fishing Lures Set included 16pcs Spinner Lures and a portable bag.which is more convenient and safety for outdoor fishing.
- 16 trout lures come with sharp treble hooks with brightly colored strike-attractor sleeves
- Premium quality blade provides continuous flash and vibration.they are desiged for bass fishing and trout fishing.named bass lures and trout lures as well.
- Spinner fishing lures is both for Freshwater and Saltwater, With A Free Carry Bag.Fisherman loves it,fishes loves more
- PLUSINNO bass fishing trout lures with carry bag which is designed for fishing lovers.Special for Christmas,Thanksgiving Day,Father's Day ect.
Every trout angler knows how much trout love to eat worms and having a worm lure in your arsenal is a great backup to have if everything else has failed and the fish still aren’t biting. If you’re looking for a worm bait than you won’t go too far wrong with this excellent option from Berkley.
Berkley has a reputation for creating high-quality fishing gear and this is no exception to that rule. This durable and effective lure should last you for a few years at least (as long as a trout doesn’t swallow it) and it’s an excellent option if you’re looking for something that’s going to bring in the fish but not break the bank. This brightly colored worm has a proven track record at bringing in the fish and it’s been excellently designed to mimic the way that small worms move and act in the water.
Berkley has also infused the worm with smell and flavor to try and further convince the trout that this is something they want to take a bite of and overall, it tends to work very well. The smell and flavor of the worm tend to make the trout bit down harder for longer which results in some excellent hook sets which make it much easier to haul them in.
- Looks and moves like a small worm in the water
- Range of colors available
- Infused with smell and flavor to entice the fish
- High quality and reliable
- Keep in an air-sealed container to keep the worm smell and flavor though it will vanish over time
Best Trout Lures Buying Guide
There are so many trout lures available that finding the one that suits you can seem like a hopeless task. Now you’ve seen some of the best options available hopefully you now feel a little more prepared to pick one that’s right for you, if not though don’t worry we’re now going to show you some of the main features to look out for to help you make the best choice.
Trout are much smaller than other game fish, and one of the reasons why a special trout lure is a good idea is that they have very small mouths. This means that their prey tends to be smaller too, so you normally use light and ultralight tackle and lines of 4 to 10-pound to go after them.
What lure you pair with your setup needs to be decided based on the conditions on the day and the depth of the water. The rule when using lures is normally going bigger the deeper the water gets, and as long as you follow this you’ll manage just fine.
Trout are very picky eaters but they also have amazing eyesight. They can see entire colors on the UV spectrum that we can’t, so fooling a trout into taking a bite of something it shouldn’t can be tricky. Luckily, their eyes are also attracted to flashes, bright colors, and movement that looks like their natural prey so they can be tricked into triggering their natural predator's instincts and attacking. To do this it’s best to pick a lure that looks and moves realistically and will attract the fish.
Flashing metals are a good place to start so look out for lures made from silver, gold copper, bronze, brass, and nickel. Nickel might look the same as silver to you, but a trout sees it as far less reflective so it’s not such a good material for lures. Thinking about how your lure looks in the water to the trout is a good way to make sure that your lure is going to be as effective as possible.
Do I Need A Special Trout Fishing Lure?
Trout are very picky eaters and using a specialized trout fishing lure is the best way to convince them that your line is something they want to eat. Not all trout species act the same way either so for the best results you need a lure that will suit that species. Using a better lure is the best way to get a better catch.
Are lures reusable?
The quick answer is yes. One of the reasons to use lures over live bait is you can use them again and again as long as they aren’t damaged so all you have to do is keep them in good condition and take them with you on your fishing trip.