Fishing is known to be one of the most tranquil outdoor experiences you can have. It is the perfect way to escape the stresses of day-to-day life, so it is no wonder that it is an activity enjoyed by millions of people every year. To ensure that your fishing experience is as safe and successful as possible, you will need to equip yourself with the correct protective gear.
One of the most useful items an angler can have is a well-made fishing shirt. Fishing shirts are extremely important in keeping you both comfortable, dry and protected from UV rays. We’ve done some research and compiled a list of some of the best fishing shirts on the market today. All of these shirts offer incredible amounts of protection, breathability, comfort, and style so we are sure that you will find one that is just right for you. We have also listed a few factors that you should be keeping in mind to ensure that you are selecting the right fishing shirt for you.
Top 5 Best Fishing Shirts
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Columbia is a brand known for their durable and versatile high-quality clothing. Fishing has always been a huge part of the brand’s heritage and their name was actually inspired by the Columbia Fishing River of North America. Their Terminal Tackle Sleeve Fishing Shirt is one of their most best-selling pieces that is designed to be just as functional as it is comfortable.
The shirt is made of polyester interlock quick-dry material which is both lightweight extremely breathable. The shirt is constructed with an ‘Omni-Wick’ moisture management technology which works to quickly remove moisture from the skin into the fabric. It should then spread across the surface of the fabric and rapidly evaporate. This will work to keep you cool and your clothing dry.
The shirt is also constructed with UV absorbent yarns which work to block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays. This ‘Omni-Shade’ technology is proven to prevent sunburn and fundamentally reduce the chances of long-term skin damage. This shirt is available in a variety of colors and with its simplistic, classic design, it is just as fashionable as it is functional. It would be a great option for anyone looking for an incredibly well-made shirt that can be worn in a variety of fishing and social situations.
- Omni-Wick technology for moisture absorbance
- From a reputable brand known for its high-quality and versatility
- Lightweight and extremely breathable
- Omni-Shade technology for ultimate UV protection
- Classic, cool design and available in a range of colors
- Some buyers have reported issues with sizing
- OMNI-SHADE: Be safe and protected. Omni-Shade blocks UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. The tight weave construction with UV absorbent yarns block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays.
- OMNI-WICK: The ultimate moisture management technology for the outdoors. Omni-Wick quickly moves moisture from the skin into the fabric where it spreads across the surface to quickly evaporate—keeping you cool and your clothing dry.
- BUILT-IN SUN PROTECTION: The Columbia Men’s PFG Terminal Tackle Long Sleeve Shirt guards against sun damage thanks to the built-in UPF 50 material. It’s a breathable, quick wicking fabric that pulls moisture away to keep you cool and dry.
- PFG COMFORT & BREATHABILITY: Made from a polyester interlock quick-dry material, this fishing shirt is right at home on the water.
- CLASSIC FIT: This long sleeve Tee Shirt is designed for classic fit, built for ultimate comfortability in any adventure.
Baleaf is a brand known for its high-quality, comfortable apparel that is designed to optimize the outdoors experience. The Baleaf Sun Protection Shirt is constructed with 100% Polyester, which works to protect your skin against the sun’s harmful UV rays, all day long. Its technical non-see-through fabric works to wick away moisture from your skin, absorb it instantly and keep you as dry as possible. This shirt has a relaxed fit, so whilst it protects a large amount of surface area, it is not tight or uncomfortable in any way.
If you are looking for a more tight-fitting shirt, then we would recommend sizing down. This will give much more of a ‘rash-guard’ fit. The flatlock seamlines of the construction work to minimize chafing around the neck and upper arms. There is nothing worse than coming home from a day of fishing with a sore rash but with this shirt, that is not something you will have to worry about. The material is also incredibly durable so it is great for those fishing trips where you need to hike through bushes and branches to get to the water.
This shirt is also engineered to be extremely fast-drying, so if you were to get caught in the rain or even fall into the water, it will not take long for you to dry off. Due to its quick-dry technology, it is a wonderful option for not just anglers but a wide variety of outdoor enthusiasts such as surfers, kayakers, runners, and hikers.
- Highly breathable fabric
- Perfect for a wide range of outdoor activities
- Flatlock seamlines to reduce chafing and increase comfort
- Provides long-lasting UV protection
- Great value for money
- The collar can be slightly tight-fitting
As previously mentioned, Columbia is one of the world’s most trusted, go-to brands for fishing apparel. Their products are not only incredibly well-made but they are extremely versatile in terms of where they can be worn. The Columbia Men’s Bahama Long-sleeve Shirt is designed specifically for those long days of fishing in the sun. The shirt is constructed of UPF 30 fabric which works to block out both UVA and UBA rays. For those who will be sitting or standing in direct sunlight for extended periods, this is extremely important to protect your skin from burning and long-term sun damage. The shirt is also designed to be highly breathable.
With added ventilation in the shoulders, you will be sure to stay cool even when the temperatures are high. The loose fit of the shirt also allows for further breathability whilst keeping you as comfortable as possible. This relaxed fit is not only great for those long days of fishing but for casual, social wear too.
What’s different about this shirt, in particular, is its handy storage features. The two chest pockets with Velcro closures are perfect for storing personal items and fishing accessories that you need to hand. Another great feature of this shirt is its roll-up sleeves as which makes the shirt a great all-year-round piece of fishing apparel.
- Lightweight and very comfortable
- Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation for its protection against UVA and UVB rays
- Offers convenient storage
- Hidden ventilation for ultimate breathability
- Extremely durable
- The color of the shirt is susceptible to fading after several washes
Southern Fin is a brand that is renowned for its high-performance fishing apparel. Founded by a group of avid anglers from Southern Florida, Southern Fin is a brand that is constantly striving to better the fishing experience. Their long sleeve fishing shirt is one of their most best-selling fishing articles. It offers the ideal combination of style, comfort, quality, and performance so it would be the perfect option for any fishing-enthusiast who is going to be out on the water for extended periods of time.
The shirt is constructed of 100% microfiber polyester meaning it is not only incredibly soft against the skin, but it is highly breathable. The Dri-Fit technology works to wick sweat away from the skin, preventing that irritating discomfort that is typically caused by excessive perspiration. Whilst this fabric is incredibly comfortable and lightweight, it is also designed to provide UPF 50+ sun protection over extended periods of time. The long sleeve design will also reduce the need for the application of sun cream on your arms. The shirt actually comes with a seal of approval from the Skin Cancer Foundation, meaning you can spend hours upon hours out on the water doing what you do best, without having to worry about the sun. We will say that you should always ensure you are wearing a hat and sun-screen in addition to your fishing shirt to ensure that the rest of your body is fully protected against the damaging UV rays.
- Offers UPF 50+ UV Protection
- Relaxed fit and available in a variety of sizes
- Unique, stylish design
- Extremely comfortable and lightweight
- Dry-fit fabric technology which works to wick away moisture from the skin
- The shirt is slightly see-through
- OUTDOOR UNISEX CLOTHES: Our long-sleeved performance fishing tees are great for anyone who loves fishing and appreciates comfort. Whether the avid fishing enthusiast in your life is a man, woman, or older boy or girl, they’ll love this classy fishing shirt. It’s an excellent gift for your dad or anyone who loves catching fish. Comes in sizes XS to 3XL. Can be worn with overalls, pants, and more!
- MOISTURE-WICKING: This shirt by Southern Fin Apparel has dri-fit wicking tech that is perfect for fishing during any season because it is made with 100% microfiber. The cool-tech fabric will keep you warm without making you feel overheated or uncomfortable in fall, winter, or any other season. The soft fabric wicks moisture away from the body and helps keep you dry.
- UPF SUN PROTECTION: These shirts are recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation! Sun damage happens whenever you are outside and accumulates over your lifetime. It can contribute to premature skin aging and skin cancer. The more skin you cover with UV and sun protection, the better! These long sleeve tees offer 50+ UPF sun protection while covering your arms.
- DIFFERENT PRINTS & COLORS: Don’t get boring long-sleeved fishing outfits. These shirts not only have tech that will keep you comfortable, but they come in 7 different pattern and color options. There’s a light gray shirt with a largemouth bass, white with a mahi-mahi, blue with a mako shark, light gold with a native fly, dusty salmon with a redfish, white with a sailfish, and white with a wahoo.
- SOUTHERN FIN QUALITY: At Southern Fin Apparel, we strive to bring you quality clothes without making you compromise style or comfort. Each of our long sleeve shirts is made with precision and care so that they will last for many fishing trips to come. Stay comfortable and dry all day without getting sun exposure on your arms and torso.
A lot of anglers prefer a smart reel over a reel that they have full control of.
If you are one of those anglers that want your coil to move and stop with the slightest of movements in water, then the Okuma Coldwater 350 Low Profile Line Counter Reel is the perfect pick for you.
This product from the house of Okuma is perfect for musky fishing if you don't trust your instincts enough. This product has intuitive gears in place, ready for the musky or any other fish for that matter, to backflip, to troll, to counter-troll, and back-bounce.
This means that, when aided with your guidance, this reel can start spinning, stop spinning, and retrieve quickly when there a lure is baited.
Another innovative feature of the Okuma Coldwater is its advanced line counter technology. The line counter is a counter that is installed atop the reel and measures the depth at which the line has reached when you start baiting.
The line counter comes equipped with precise vision technology, which prevents fogging of the display glass.
Having said that, the product also comes equipped with corrosion-resistant and stainless steel ball bearings along with a gear ratio of 5.4:1, which packs enough drag and speed.
- It allows for automatic spinning.
- Line counter technology allows pinpoint angling.
- It is corrosion-resistant.
- The gear ratio of 5.4:1 packs enough drag and speed at spinning.
- It's not preferred by anglers who like complete control over their reel.
- PERMANENT PROTECTION: The UPF 50+UV/Sun Protection technology blocks the sun’s rays and is built into the fabric, unlike other shirts. Our fabric is recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective UV protectant.
- PERFORMANCE WEAR: Lightweight 100% Microfiber Polyester jersey-like shirt with PURE-tech moisture-wicking technology, which is permanently infused with the fabric to keep you dry. The Anti-odor technology keeps you fresh and odor-free.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Built for athletic activities like swimming, fishing, running, hiking, playing baseball, or simply sitting at the beach all day. This t-shirt provides optimal protection for any outdoor activity like mowing the lawn or gardening.
- FIT FEATURES: The set-in-shoulder construction provides a great fit and a natural, flattering shape. It is true to size in the shoulder and slimmer fitting through the body. Refer to our size chart in product images to find your best fit.
- BEST CARE: Hand or machine wash in cold water and hang dry. In order to maintain the quality of this shirt, fabric softener is not required and not recommended. Sun protection properties are enhanced after several washes and wear.
Best Fishing Shirts Buying Guide
When buying a fishing shirt, there are several features you will need to consider. You will not only need to think about its style but its function, comfort, value, and protective abilities to ensure that it will fully serve its purpose. With so many fishing shirts available on the market, it can be difficult to know which one will be right for you. We thought we would try and make the buying process slightly easier for you by highlighting things that you should be thinking about before making your decision.
The material of your fishing shirt will determine not only how comfortable you will be, but how long it will last. Ideally, you will want a fabric that is not only durable but lightweight and breathable. There are three main fabrics that are typically used in the construction of fishing shirts: Polyester, Nylon, and Cotton. Polyester is known for its offer of superior UV protection. It is also known for being extremely fast-drying and odor resistant. The downsides of Polyester are that it attracts dirt and can develop static electricity. Nylon is another extremely common material used in fishing shirt construction. It is known for being highly durable and resistant against abrasion although it is typically not as breathable as Polyester. Cotton is a material that is less commonly found in fishing shirts. Cotton shirts are great for the cooler weather when moisture management isn’t as essential. Cotton fishing shirts offer fantastic breathability and comfort, although it is not able to wick away moisture. So, if you are looking for a fishing shirt that can cope both in and out of the water, cotton may not be the best option.
If you are planning to be out fishing for long periods, comfort will be one of your main priorities. Especially if you are angling in hot and humid conditions, you will want a shirt that not only fits perfectly but is extremely breathable. To ensure that your fishing shirt will be as comfortable as possible, you should make that it is constructed of lightweight, anti-chafe material and that you are choosing the correct size for your height and weight. You should look out for shirts that have minimal seams and tags as these can be highly irritating against the skin.
Even if you are an out-of-water fisher, your fishing shirt is bound to get wet at some point. Whether that’s by rain, perspiration, or splashbacks from the water, you will want to ensure that your shirt is capable of drying as quickly as possible. There are several features you can look out for in fishing shirts that will ensure great moisture management. You should look for shirts that are made out of synthetic polyester as this is a fabric that is highly absorbent and will, therefore, dry a lot quicker than most materials. You should also look out for shirts that are constructed with ‘anti-wick’ technology as this will work to evaporate sweat.
The main purpose of a fishing shirt is to protect your skin against harmful UV rays. Fishing is an activity that is often conducted in warm temperatures for long periods. Due to this, it is extremely important to ensure that your body is thoroughly protected at all times so to minimize the risk of burning and long-term sun damage. When it comes to choosing your fishing shirt, you should check it has a UPF rating of 30+. Ideally, your shirt will have a UPF rating of 50+ which will ensure to protect your covered skin from 98% of the sun’s rays.
Best Fishing Shirt FAQ’s
How long do fishing shirts last?
The life span of your fishing shirt will depend entirely on how frequently it is used and how well it is looked after. Additionally, the quality of its construction will have a huge influence on how long it will last you. To prolong the life of your fishing shirt, there are several things that you can do. You should check the washing instructions of the shirt to make sure it is machine-friendly. You should make sure that you are cleaning your fishing shirt after every use to ensure it is free from salt-water, sand, and any other kind of corrosive materials. You should also ensure that you are buying a shirt that is going to fit you properly so that you have sufficient room to move about. If your shirt is too small, it will be more susceptible to tears.
Should I get a long sleeve fishing shirt or a short sleeve fishing shirt?
Fishing shirts are available in both short and long sleeve fits. The sleeve length you choose is entirely down to your personal preference. Whilst short-sleeved shirts will be more cooling and provide you with extra flexibility, long sleeve shirts will provide you with extra UV protection. As long sleeve fishing shirts will provide you with added protection, we would recommend them as the better option. If you do prefer a shorter sleeve fit, you will need to ensure that your arms are adequately covered in sun-block to protect yourself from sun damage.
How tight-fitting should my fishing shirt be?
The fit of your fishing shirt will depend entirely on your personal preference. Unlike rash guards, fishing shirts are not designed to be worn in the water so there is no need for them to be tightly fitted to the skin. Fishing shirts are designed to be extremely comfortable and typically loose-fitting as they are likely to be worn for long periods of time. If you do prefer a slightly tighter feel, you can simply size down when buying your fishing shirt.